Amazon drivers are using our driveway to 'break in' their new vans...

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trees usually win these battles. This tree was not that big so the tree did flinch a little. I've seen cars wrapped around trees. Sadly, most drivers will not survive a head on collision with a large tree. Better to hit brick walls because large trees won't blink.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's a good one. Thanks for sharing.
Good job on the camera coverage.
I question why he was backing up so fast in a tight parking area. Me thinks this isn't his first mishap.
Didn't even report the incident to you or attempt to fix his divots in the gravel. What an a-hole!
I'd submit the video to his company. He's probably going to report it as a hit and run and not his fault even though it's obvious it's a tree or pole.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
The driver didn't feather the gas at all, even when leaving after the accident. Left divots everywhere. And didn't fill his divots when standing next to hem w/ cell phone.
A cretin!
Maybe the company will download the contents of the black box. Assuming it records spinning tire events and traction control events, then maybe the he'll be sent to a Remedial Driving class.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
His technique on the gas pedal reminded me of my late father's attempts to learn how to use cooker controls when preparing meals after my mother died. He only recognised two positions - OFF and MAX...
I did think of informing the driver's employers but I thought he's probably in enough trouble already. I imagined him claiming it was a hit-and-run but then how many trees are there driving around on public roads these days?
Funny thing was he was back two days later in a shiny new van with another Amazon delivery. He drove very gently up to the top of our drive without turning, delivered the parcel and then gently reversed, again without turning, straight out onto the main road. I braced myself for the sound of a big crash but fortunately there was no traffic going past at that moment.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like he crimped the hell out of the back of that van. Tree 1 : Idiot 0

Wonder how they will get the rest of the packages out of the back of the van? I doubt that door is opening...

Around here, sometime in the last year all the hodgepodge of personal vehicles and random rental trucks from Amazon stopped, and everything is delivered in Branded Amazon vans. I'm glad, because a lot of the personal vehicles used were beaters and they left various fluid donations on my driveway. I had one (fortunately on the asphalt road not my concrete driveway) that when they drove away it looked like they left their entire tranny pan's worth of fluid behind. Took a couple months for that stain to go away even with me hitting it with Bleche-White every now and then.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup. Side door. Wasn't paying attention first time through. I was distracted by the guy's idiocy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I see the whole problem The steering wheel is on the wrong side of the van. :)

I thought it was the windscreen that was at the wrong end....

Either way, I reckon that's job gone. Reversed into a tree with a brand new van and most probably wrote it off as I'm calling chassis and roof damage on that one, which means a new body shell even if the chassis is repairable, plus the doors. Given many UK company car policies have a £25K excess, that potentially leaves his company with the full bill for a new van as a Vito starts at around £23K.

Have to love the features though:

Under what makes the Vito better than ever? You'll find "Intelligent Safety".

Obviously doesn't include the driver not least because it has a reversing camera!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I question why he was backing up so fast in a tight parking area.
Absolutely. Maybe too focused on that cold beer waiting for him at the pub or in the 'fridge.
I'd submit the video to his company.
I would too. Morons like this don't need to be driving in tight spaces, especially around living creatures like children, dogs...and people!
At least not until they've been in the boss' office and received a closed-door butt-chewin' ! :smash:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
White van drivers (or silver in the following case) are notorious in the UK. Many speed everywhere to get the job done as quickly as possible. Hence why company car insurance often has a £25,000 excess - it's designed to make it impossible to claim.

One of the most notorious ones of recent years, speeding, undertaking (illegal in UK), cutting up, all whilst failing to notice a junction and island in the road!!!

£25K excess explained right there (and above of course).

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Reminds me of a US show from 40 years ago The Dukes of Hazzard where two country "good old boys" would jump their car over rivers and stuff. Dumb show but I miss it...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reminds me of a US show from 40 years ago The Dukes of Hazzard where two country "good old boys" would jump their car over rivers and stuff. Dumb show but I miss it...

I miss Daisy Duke and her, well.....her "Daisy Duke's"!
BTW, can you imagine a red Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on it being on TV these days?
I done thin so, Lucy! :highfive:

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I miss Daisy Dukes and her, well.....her Daisy Dukes!
BTW, can you imagine a red Dodge Charger with a Confederate flag on it being on TV these days?
I done thin so, Lucy! :highfive:
I'm a liberal with a sense of humor and understand context. So I'm not that rabid overall, compared to my progressive friends (I'm an incrementalist and do not identify as a progressive). So I sometimes bring up stuff like this and watch the fun begin.

I miss Catherine Bach and her hosed legs in shorts. After a season or two of the show I noticed there was a car in it, and other characters.

I wonder how many of those Chargers they destroyed in jumps before they (too obviously) switched to using models?