Amazon Sidewalk: what could possibly go wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the complete list:

• Ring Floodlight Cam (2019)
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019)
  • Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019)
  • Echo (2nd Gen)
  • Echo (3rd Gen)
  • Echo (4th Gen)
  • Echo Dot (2nd Gen)
  • Echo Dot (3rd Gen)
  • Echo Dot (4th Gen)
  • Echo Dot (2nd Gen) for Kids
  • Echo Dot (3rd Gen) for Kids
  • Echo Dot (4th Gen) for Kids
  • Echo Dot with Clock (3rd Gen)
  • Echo Dot with Clock (4th Gen)
  • Echo Plus (1st Gen)
  • Echo Plus (2nd Gen)
  • Echo Show (1st Gen)
  • Echo Show (2nd Gen)
  • Echo Show 5
  • Echo Show 8
  • Echo Show 10
  • Echo Spot
  • Echo Studio

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
There was some thermostat, maybe Nest, maybe Google Home, that had a supposedly deactivated microphone in them. Eventually it was fund some of them were hot mics in some situations without notification or consent of the owners.

Ok found it. Old news now but still... Sheesh!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was some thermostat, maybe Nest, maybe Google Home, that had a supposedly deactivated microphone in them. Eventually it was fund some of them were hot mics in some situations without notification or consent of the owners.

Ok found it. Old news now but still... Sheesh!

Yeah, I remember reading Google also listens for smoke alarms...a thought came to mind, my ex-wife sounded like an alarm to me when she spoke, LOL, I would of got notices all day long back then :) haha

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is Amazon The Borg, and resistance is futile?

I ordered something off the Walmart site, paying a few bucks more than the Amazon monster charges. The Walmart site said "Sold and shipped by Astro Buys LLC ". It showed up today in an Amazon box with an Amazon packing list inside. So against my principles I fed the Amazon monster with Astro Buys skimming a few bucks off the top. Seriously, I think Amazon is a big or bigger threat to us as the Biden regime. Could already be too powerful to stop.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got duped yet again. To avoid buying a $10 cable from amazon I ordered it from from ebay seller sellsim_2day_shipping for $13. It showed up UPS in amazon packaging with an amazon.com packing slip. So either by setting up their own front companies or having volunteers skimming a few bucks on each transaction, the amazon tentacles are getting hard to avoid. I think someday as a society we will regret this monster we're lining up to strengthen. Just a personal opinion.

My wife ordered 3 barbies from the walmart web site for a grandkid. Two of them came from walmart, the other from amazon.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got duped yet again. To avoid buying a $10 cable from amazon I ordered it from from ebay seller sellsim_2day_shipping for $13. It showed up UPS in amazon packaging with an amazon.com packing slip. So either by setting up their own front companies or having volunteers skimming a few bucks on each transaction, the amazon tentacles are getting hard to avoid. I think someday as a society we will regret this monster we're lining up to strengthen. Just a personal opinion.

My wife ordered 3 barbies from the walmart web site for a grandkid. Two of them came from walmart, the other from amazon.
So my read is people set up a business that is essentially a personal shopper business charging 30% to order stuff for people from Amazon LOL.

Not a bad way to make money LOL - sit at home and just process orders. Do not have to deal with inventory and if someone sends something back, you just take it to Kohls for the Amazon return. WOW.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score

This is a common practice called arbitrage.

There's no way to avoid doing business with big companies...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

It is a Conspiracy, I tell you, a Conspiracy...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your devices are certainly listening to you - at the very least for ad purposes. I suspect our smart phones are the worse culprit, but Alexa's, Google Home, smart TVs, streaming devices, etc probably all do it too.
Oh yeah, our devices are listening, I was telling a family member about my knee and how I was told I may have bone on bone issues in the future, look at the spam e-mail I got, nothing in the message, just a Subject Line filled out. Look who it is from. This e-mail account I rarely use, I don't give it out. I am thinking Google, either my phone or assistant speaker heard my conversation. I am searching how Google got this/my e-mail address, I am assuming from my g-mails I have forwarded to this email address.

1623677176983.png

This reminds me of an old joke:

A son in prison receives a letter from his Dad stating how rough it has been since he has been gone, how he may not be able to plow up the backyard to plant his yearly garden without help.

Son replies in a letter to Dad, knowing all letters are read by prison staff prior to being mailed, in part his letter read; I am sorry Dad I am not their to help you, but don't try to dig up that garden, that is where the bodies are buried.

Son receives a letter from Dad; Son you will not believe this but after receiving your letter a bunch of FBI and Law Enforcement came and dug up our whole our whole backyard, not finding anything they left. I can now plant my garden.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
My wife of 22 years is compliments of match,com.
I have my identity hidden, no one knows who I am or where I live.. ha ha ha