Amcrest 841's on Blue Iris suffer bandwidth

Reaction score
Run a cable is the simplest way. I dug a trench, put in conduit and sealtite and pulled cable. No problems with dropouts anymore. String one overhead or whatever, but I think you'll see the same result...solid signal and no dropouts.
Yup, that's what I've done on a couple dozen cameras that are fixed position. I got the wifi cameras so I could move them around as needed.

DDN13

n3wb
Reaction score
Late to the party - and sorry to reopen an older thread - but I have the same problems as the OP does. 8 Amcrest cams, 7 of them wifi, with various of the wifi ones experiencing dropouts and very poor throughput at times. My solution was the same as mentioned - wire them up. Even the one 15 ft away from me just outside, playing dropsie. I have 3 wifi cams left to do, and 2 of them right now are doing 30-45kB/s while the wired ones go anywhere from 400-1000kB/s.

Now, this 50x25 house is on a native reservation and I got nobody around using wifi but me. The nearest house is 500ft away. None of my inlaw neighbors use wifi, so interference should be at a minimum right? Well, maybe. Keep FCC Rule 15 in mind.

The cams are pretty chatty all by themselves, of course. But even out here there's 2 TVs doing wifi, a Mac running Plex, 2 iPhones & iPads, Kindle, Echos, a laptop at times, cell repeater, PS4 etc. The wifi environment is more crowded than you might at first believe. Changing routers didn't change things much, in fact made some things worse (and some better). Despite my attempt to blame it all on a native burial ground, the problem was obvious - so off I wire. At least there's no HOA here to complain about my wiring runs ...

I don't know if the issue we were both seeing with Amcrest cams is unique to them, or exists in some combo with BI, or what. But I do know that when I connect via wifi to the Amcrests' web page most tend to prompt for an addon to be installed to see the video. When I hardwired them, the prompt went away and I could see live video. Make of that what you will.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for proving what I said, albeit the hard way. I do have to ask why you're running at such a high bit rate. Covering gambling tables or jewelry counters? Generally speaking, for home security or even store security purposes, 15fps with a bit rate of 4096 if fine.

As far as I know, about the only place, in the US, you're fairly safe from RFI is in either Virginia or West Virginia, can't remember which. There's some kind of government listening post, deep space or whatever, and they actually go around with sniffers and shut down RF sources like cell phones and such. Probably the only place in the US still on wired phones exclusively. Of course, if you enabled WiFi cameras there you'd get nailed in a heartbeat.