Amcrest cameras and Blue Iris

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do all Amcrest cameras work with Blue Iris? There is an Amcrest camera offered on Amazon with zoom, pan and tilt, etc. But, according to customer reviews, it will not work with Blue Iris and cannot be accessed with a browser on your pc. I am now hesitant to purchase any “outdoor” wifi camera from Amcrest. Apparently, they made this camera so that it only works with their cloud based servers.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do all Amcrest cameras work with Blue Iris? There is an Amcrest camera offered on Amazon with zoom, pan and tilt, etc. But, according to customer reviews, it will not work with Blue Iris and cannot be accessed with a browser on your pc. I am now hesitant to purchase any “outdoor” wifi camera from Amcrest. Apparently, they made this camera so that it only works with their cloud based servers.
Some of the so-named "smart home" cameras will work with BI if first set up with their app but are limited in configuration of the cam itself (no webGUI).

I'd search individually to see if Amcrest support says that particular PTZ has RTSP and will stream to BI.

BTW, what is the model number or amazon link?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would stay away from any wifi camera and Blue Iris unless you like getting tons of No Signals. And then a PTZ on top of that. Forget it.

Unlike Netflix, these cameras do not buffer and you will lose signal all the time. Routers cannot keep up with the constant 24/7 streaming demand with no buffering of these cameras.

You need power, so use a powerline adapter that runs data thru your electric lines.

Or have a wifi router not connected to the internet that only the wifi cam is connected to.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Wired is best, then powerline adapters, IMO.

I have 3 Wi-Fi cams (Amcrest IP2M-841's) in non-critical pet-watching service streaming to BI that are served by their own Asus Wireless-AC router running in AP mode (static IP, DHCP disabled); no other devices are on that wireless AP. They have been pretty reliable, an occasional dropout for 15 seconds once or twice a day....not perfect but tolerable in the role they serve.

Last edited:

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have several WyzeCam v3s (yes, WyzeCams) still not converted to PoE running through BI that are rock solid on a wireless segment of my network which is dedicated strictly to cameras. One is nearly a 100' shot between two buildings and I wouldn't hesitate to drop a PTZ unit into the mix for 24/7 observation of my particular situation.

You just need to know how, and be realistic about your expectations when approaching the fringes. Blaming the technology as being at fault when one has neither the experience or understanding to properly implement it is, shall we politely say..., just slightly uninformed -- or just pure noise for effect's sake in providing less than accurate advice.

Folks who like to shit on wi-fi are missing a very useful, reliable, practical and usually economical solution for certain situations when hardwiring may not be any of the above.

Do I prefer hardwired? Of course. But I'd be an absolute idiot to not take full advantage of wireless technology when it could be a more viable solution.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You just need to know how, and be realistic about your expectations when approaching the fringes. Blaming the technology as being at fault when one has neither the experience or understanding to properly implement it is, shall we politely say..., just slightly uninformed -- or just pure noise for effect's sake in providing less than accurate advice.
Yeah, I've encountered my share of folks on this forum who, shall we politely say, think they know all there is to know about just about everything.....:cool:
They're usually the same ones who, instead of listening, are waiting for you to shut up so they can speak.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run Blueiris and 12 of my 16 cameras are Amcrest (IP4M-1041, IP4M-1190, IP5M-T1179E, and IP5M-1190), indoor and outdoor, purchased from Amazon, with the oldest purchased in Oct 2021. All are PTZ and they all run wired (no wifi) and have been fine for at least the past year. They are not POE but I use an injector/adapter for most of them for convenience. Some minor issues with connectivity (probably my wiring) and the only major issue was last night when I tried to update firmware on an IP5M-1190 and somehow bricked it so I am looking for a replacement. Of course it was 1 month over the warranty expiration ... but I suppose I should expect that for a $100 device? One thing I noticed from every single camera, Amcrest, Hikvision, and Nellys, is that they all try to phone home to various IPs in China... Not sure if they are "checking for updates" (wink wink) or what, but I blocked that on my firewall and I update firmware when there is a problem. As many others have recommended on these forums I recommend a firewall and VPN in to see your cams... Just my ... 12? cents.

OakleyFreak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd I'm running 3 of my 9 cams are amcrest wifi
I have no issues in BI or on the amcrest app via VPN when I'm away. No buffering or frame loss .....

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some of the so-named "smart home" cameras will work with BI if first set up with their app but are limited in configuration of the cam itself (no webGUI).

I'd search individually to see if Amcrest support says that particular PTZ has RTSP and will stream to BI.

BTW, what is the model number or amazon link?
@TonyR How about this one?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, it's a crap shoot. I'd read every post in this thread below and then decide, as some get it working and some do not. For sure I'd buy from amazon so you can return if necessary....or just get the IP2M-841 which we KNOW works with Blue Iris.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple Amcrest XVRs and cameras hanging off my BI network and occasionally cruise the Amcrest crowd, particularly those who are also BI users. I was initially intrigued by the Smart Home stuff simply as an ancillary platform until it became fairly obvious it's pretty much a boondoggle that Amcrest just can't seem to get right..., or is even bothering to.

Unless one is already locked into the Amcrest Smart Home platform, anything with an ASH prefix from Amcrest seems to be a crapshoot right down to every piece of related software, not to mention the support.

The IP2M-841 is a capable camera for the money and can run with any halfway decent software that can pull an RTSP stream. The main Amcrest IP based software generally seems to work well, though web access is still stuck in the stone ages with no Chrome support and requires running Edge in IE mode for most webUI functions requiring (or providing) an actual image. ( I use Amcrest View Pro with an Android phone for remote access and like it a lot for my purposes.)

That said, bottom line is the wi-fi environment has to be up to the task regardless of the camera choice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@bob2701
If you read the reviews, it requires cloud after restart (power loss). If you have it locked behind a firewall (everyone should of course).

Just bought a couple 841s. Onvif was annoying but got it to work. Preset positions are awesome.

IP4M-1041 is another option as mentioned above.
Kind of wondering how it stacks picture wise against the 841. 2mp vs 4mp. 1/2.7 vs 1/3 sensor.

And while I am on a ramble, to answer OP no not every Amcrest camera is a local RTSP option. Best way is to search RTSP in reviews on Amazon.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bob2701
IP4M-1041 is another option as mentioned above.
Kind of wondering how it stacks picture wise against the 841. 2mp vs 4mp. 1/2.7 vs 1/3 sensor.
Amcrest lists the 841 @ 1/2.9", the 1041 @ 1/3", so the 841 is larger by a neglible amount but.....the 841's 2MP should perform better in low light or night time than the 1041's 4MP. :cool:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like the saying that sticks in my mind from 50 years ago but was concerning trees.
ASH IS TRASH
The 841 and 1041's are fine.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Someone didn't know their trees very well. Depends on the species.
Yep, mines is doing well at about 20 years. A plant guy on a weekly radio show always bashed them so I planted one.