I cannot get Amcrest ash21 cameras to connect to blue iris

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the user name and password for my camera so i dont think that is the issue.

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you try deleting the cam in Blue Iris then beginning again from step #1 in the Amcrest setup that you linked?
Yes, I deleted the camera many times and tried to add it again. I also reset the camera many times and reset it up through my phone and then tried blue iris again. Someone on reddit said it was a known issue with that specific cameras firmware and that amcrest says you just have to keep deleting the camera and resetting it and trying to reconnect but i see some poeple get it to work so i have a hard time believing that there is a firmware issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. You have 4 of those cams?
  2. How are you performing a "reset" of the cam?
  3. Are you deleting your device from your Amcrest Smart Home account before performing a factory reset?
  4. Are you plugging in all 4 at the same time and trying to set up or are you plugging in one at a time and setting up one at a time?
  5. Are there any OTHER cams in the same LAN that are working OK?

Last edited:

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 4 interior ash21 cameras that I am trying to connect to blue iris and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get them to connect. I followed the tutorial here but blue iris continues to say no signal. I can connect to the camera fine using the amcrest app on my phone.
I have one working with these settings, except for no PTZ control. I believe there are two versions of this hardware, v1 and v2, (not referring to the colors) but I'm not sure what the differences are and Amcrest won't clarify.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 09.07.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 09.07.26 AM.png

Joegreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  1. You have 4 of those cams?
  2. How are you performing a "reset" of the cam?
  3. Are you deleting your device from your Amcrest Smart Home account before performing a factory reset?
  4. Are you plugging in all 4 at the same time and trying to set up or are you plugging in one at a time and setting up one at a time?
  5. Are there any OTHER cams in the same LAN that are working OK?
Right now I have only one camera connected to the amcrest app. The other three have been removed. I am trying to just get one working for now. I hold the reset button on the camera to reset it and also make sure that the camera is deleted from the amcrest app and from blue iris. I then re add the camera to the amcrest app and verify its working through the app then I go ahead and try and follow the amcrest webpage on how to add the camera to blue iris.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry you're having such a problem. especially since others state they have gotten them to work with BI.

IMO, it likely has something to do with P2P; anytime you scan a QR code, enter a UID number and/or affiliate with a smartphone app or cloud in any way, it's like throwing darts at a dart board...some hit the mark, some don't. :blankstare:

Unfortunately, it turns the marketing name for these "SmartHome" devices into an oxymoron.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
In your Network IP configuration page, have you tried letting Blue iris define the camera using the Find/Inspect button?
Some of my amcrest cams don't abide by the Amcrest list in Blue iris perfectly.

Krosenqu

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't get this to work since I bought the camera back in 2021.
FINALLY this week I was able to get it to work. Blue Iris released an update that listed support for this camera specifically.

Note that PTZ still isn't working but RTSP streaming is.
PTZ works too! PTZ Setup screenshot added.

Attachments

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FINALLY this week I was able to get it to work. Blue Iris released an update that listed support for this camera specifically.

Thanks for the positive post regarding that cam included in the recent update and your success.

Did you enable/set up PTZ under "camera settings" => "PTZ/Control" tab ?
Try in the drop-down menu "Dahua new v4" unless one appears for the ASH21 (I have BI v5.4.6.11 from June 2021).

OmahaRob

n3wb
Reaction score

PTZ works too! PTZ Setup screenshot added.
Thank you for the detailed post. I just installed 1 of 3 ASH21 and got it working in BI. My PTZ screen looks just IIke your screenshot. I can PTZ move using the Amcrest app, but not using the BI interface or iPhone app. The PTZ buttons are there, just no response from the camera. Also, were you able to find a way to set PTZ presets? The AmcrestSmartHome app doesn’t have that feature that I can find. Thank you in advance! Rob

Krosenqu

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed post. I just installed 1 of 3 ASH21 and got it working in BI. My PTZ screen looks just IIke your screenshot. I can PTZ move using the Amcrest app, but not using the BI interface or iPhone app. The PTZ buttons are there, just no response from the camera. Also, were you able to find a way to set PTZ presets? The AmcrestSmartHome app doesn’t have that feature that I can find. Thank you in advance! Rob
I had this issue as well before BI was updated to version 5.6.05. Maybe check your current version?
I made no chnages and it started working so I presume BI and/or Amcrest made a change to enable compatibility with Blue Iris.

As far as PTZ Presets, I don't think Amcrest has enabled them since I don't see a place in the app to set them. The downside with this specific camera is that it requires the app and has no web interface. Every other camera I have (including other Amcrest Cameras) includes a web interface where you can specify PTZ presets which can be saved and later called by Blue Irirs.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The downside with this specific camera is that it requires the app and has no web interface.
For the benefit of others reading this thread, especially future camera purchasers, just be advised that the hallmark traits of any cam label "Smart Home" or similar is that they do NOT provide an embedded camera webGUI and lean heavily toward account setup, smart phone or tablet app usage, limited camera configurability and oftentimes p2p/cloud account linkage.

What appears to be simple and smart is generally at the sacrifice of genuine usability, IMO.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As far as PTZ Presets, I don't think Amcrest has enabled them since I don't see a place in the app to set them. The downside with this specific camera is that it requires the app and has no web interface. Every other camera I have (including other Amcrest Cameras) includes a web interface where you can specify PTZ presets which can be saved and later called by Blue Irirs.
I have an ASH21 and have never needed a Web UI. All ASH21 camera settings I've wanted to change, not just ones in SH app, I can change using Amcrest Surveillance Pro (same as SmartPSS) on Device Config page. I can also set ASH21 PTZ Presets there on Live View page.
Many non-SH settings can also be changed using Amcrest View Pro app on android/ios.

Edit:
Caution: Amcrest does not say what I said above is supported, so some setting changes may not work properly. I've mainly changed things in the video encoding area on Device Config page. And setup of PTZ Presets does work.

Last edited:

Krosenqu

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an ASH21 and have never needed a Web UI. All ASH21 camera settings I've wanted to change, not just ones in SH app, I can change using Amcrest Surveillance Pro (same as SmartPSS) on Device Config page. I can also set ASH21 PTZ Presets there on Live View page.
Many non-SH settings can also be changed using Amcrest View Pro app on android/ios.

Edit:
Caution: Amcrest does not say what I said above is supported, so some setting changes may not work properly. I've mainly changed things in the video encoding area on Device Config page. And setup of PTZ Presets does work.
Great to know!
I'm having a little trouble keeping up with all of the Amcrest apps on the iOS store. I see the smart home app which is required to use their Doorbells (which I have also connected to blue iris) but I don't see Amcrest Surveillance Pro or SmartPSS. Are those Android offerings or something else?

Apps I could find on iOS store:
  1. Amcrest Sight: Connects to the WLD895 Wireless touch screen monitor system.
  2. Amcrest View Pro: IP Camera Configuration (I use for the IP2M-841B).
  3. Amcrest Smart Home: Smart Security Devices (doorbells, etc). I use this for the ASH21-W were talking about in this thread).
  4. Amcrest Cloud: Cloud recordings viewer.
  5. Amcrest Link for 960H DVR:
  6. Amcrest GPS Pro: For their GPS tracking devices.