Amcrest IP Cam Two Way Comms Not Working

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 new IP cams that have 2 way comms ip4m-1041 and ip2m-841-v3 and have them configured in my BI system but 2 way is not working, I can hear but can not have what I say heard at the other end. The microphone icon within BI is available for each camera and when I press to talk it goes green but again no sound comes out and when released the mic icon goes gray. Let me detail the basics and happy to provide additional details to help resolve issue.

1. When accessing cameras via the web gui I can hear sound but can not talk, in fact the ui doesnt seem to have a mic icon or similar to speak.
2. When using the Amcrest pro view app I can hear and speak through the camera.
3. I have the cams setup through BI using the auto detect/config (provide IP and username/password), I can hear sound but can not have anything said come out on other end.
4. Clips that are recorded from these cameras are not accompanied by audio.
5. When originally installed and logged into the gui I would get an error stating "It fails to support current audio config", I then went into the setup and configured the main and sub stream audio for g.711Mu or g.711A (either would resolve error and audio could be heard).

Any advice to help resolve would be much appreciated. Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One area BI struggles with is two-way audio. It will be more like a walkie-talkie and depending on your system, could be a several second lag and could experience some cut-out.

Here is what it needs to be set to in BI to give it its best chance of working and works for my 841:

1662577204200.png

Where mainstream is:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

and substream is:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you trying to speak to the cams using the BI app on your phone / tablet or from your BI server with a microphone installed?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - iirc most IP cameras are "walkie talkie" style if they have both a speaker and microphone .. if you want smooth audio communications you need a "video intercom" type device ( example one which supports VoIP or similar .. )

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
One area BI struggles with is two-way audio. It will be more like a walkie-talkie and depending on your system, could be a several second lag and could experience some cut-out.

Here is what it needs to be set to in BI to give it its best chance of working and works for my 841:

View attachment 139234

Where mainstream is:

and substream is:

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}&proto=Onvif
Thanks for that feedback. This is what my setup looks like and it seems they are the same/similar except for substream which I dont usually run but depends on cameras primary function. There is no Amcrest specific make/model for these cameras, but according to BI the ONVIF should support the majority of functionality and given the comms are not Amcrest specific should too be supported. As for audio results, there is no audio output at all, lagged or otherwise from within BI, the Amcrest gui doesnt even have a way that I can see to use a microphone and the Amcrest View Pro app is the only way I have so far tested that 2 way works. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

1662579681260.png

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you trying to speak to the cams using the BI app on your phone / tablet or from your BI server with a microphone installed?
BI windows server interface, using BT microphone, I do not use the BI app.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is not the same as mine.

Audio does not follow ONVIF protocol and this is mentioned in the BI help file:

The downside is that there is some functionality which is
camera-specific and/or camera-manufacturer-specific, such as the ability to “talk” or send
audio to the camera.

If I use the find/inspect I get what you show and it doesn't work.

You have this is mainstream:

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

And I have this:

The stuff in {} makes a difference.

Use the camera make/model and text for mainstream and it will work.

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
That is not the same as mine.

Audio does not follow ONVIF protocol and this is mentioned in the BI help file:

The downside is that there is some functionality which is
camera-specific and/or camera-manufacturer-specific, such as the ability to “talk” or send
audio to the camera.

If I use the find/inspect I get what you show and it doesn't work.

You have this is mainstream:

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

And I have this:

The stuff in {} makes a difference.

Use the camera make/model and text for mainstream and it will work.
Gotcha. I know we didnt have the same make/model but assumed it wouldnt factor in but didnt realize the importance of the bracketed items, also that BI mention you cited didnt even come up in my search. I am going to give your suggestion a try and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 7 cameras that have two-way talk capabilities and they are all different cameras (Dahua OEM from Andy and this one Amcrest) and the only way two-way works for me for 6 of them is using that same make/model and string with the {}.

However, I do have one camera from Andy that needed this make/model but used the same main string:

1662599695117.png

Find/inspect didn't work for any of them.

The common theme seems to be that BI created these for the popular Amcrest models that have had two-way before Dahua started making them available, so we have to use some variation of those make/models in BI.

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 7 cameras that have two-way talk capabilities and they are all different cameras (Dahua OEM from Andy and this one Amcrest) and the only way two-way works for me for 6 of them is using that same make/model and string with the {}.

However, I do have one camera from Andy that needed this make/model but used the same main string:

View attachment 139269

Find/inspect didn't work for any of them.

The common theme seems to be that BI created these for the popular Amcrest models that have had two-way before Dahua started making them available, so we have to use some variation of those make/models in BI.
Thanks for this info. I am still playing around with it but no luck yet on talking but sound seems better/clearer having used the Amcrest make. I have thus far been happy with the Amcrest cameras I have but am seriously considering sending these back. Are you aware of what brands are fully supported for 2 way comms within BI? I havent done a search on this but figured I would ask. Amcrest has a nice price point for what you get which makes this even more frustrating. Another issue I have noticed now that I have 2 way equipped cams is that the web server/browser view doesnt have the option to use the talk feature which leaves using only the BI app (which I have read some pretty harsh reviews about), the BI application console or the Amcrest PV app. I am going to install at least 2 more 2 way cams so getting to the bottom of this is important. Will keep plugging away and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the harsh reviews about the BI app are all user error.

They are expecting to download the app and scan a QR code and it works.

It doesn't work that way.

But if you know what your IP address is and plug that in then it works as intended.

Like I said, I have 7 cameras that have two-way communication and after the initial novelty, I never use them as two-way talk. I use them with BI to send out automated messages or sirens if people get near my house, but if you really want to be using it for two-way communication, you will not want to be using BI for it.

But in the event I need to talk, they do work with the BI app.

The best way for any of these two-way communications to work is with the app designed for that camera (regardless of the camera brand). BI will always be laggy and way more walkie-talkie than the camera app.

If you want true two-way talk you need something like a doorbell camera.

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the harsh reviews about the BI app are all user error.

They are expecting to download the app and scan a QR code and it works.

It doesn't work that way.

But if you know what your IP address is and plug that in then it works as intended.

Like I said, I have 7 cameras that have two-way communication and after the initial novelty, I never use them as two-way talk. I use them with BI to send out automated messages or sirens if people get near my house, but if you really want to be using it for two-way communication, you will not want to be using BI for it.

But in the event I need to talk, they do work with the BI app.

The best way for any of these two-way communications to work is with the app designed for that camera (regardless of the camera brand). BI will always be laggy and way more walkie-talkie than the camera app.

If you want true two-way talk you need something like a doorbell camera.
Appreciate your input. Unfortunately since BI app doesnt have a trial I am reluctant to give it a shot, had my fill of buying software that doesnt actually fill the need or is weak, not to say that is the case here but a eval period would be nice.

You raise a good point about the camera native app, if it isnt supported in BI I can use the Amcrest PV app to use the 2way and leave BI to do what I installed it to do and look at replacement options when it comes time to swap out my units. Strangely or maybe not so strange but Amcrest has been silent on this issue.

What camera brands does BI fully support 2 way comms or is this a pipe dream? I plan on using the 2way more than most since they are located in remote areas and having it supported in BI is pretty important due to ease of use.

I am interested in knowing more about your automated messages and sirens that you mentioned. I was planning on using this feature within BI to trigger recorded messages and audible alerts but the AI detection just has way too many false positives and when fine tuned it swings the opposite way and when it comes to audible sounds and such in public space I need to ensure it doesnt get to the point of false alarms which eventually people will ignore or getting cited violating noise ordinances like people with home alarms that keep going off.

Are you aware of any good bluetooth external 2way speakers? I was considering this as an option but kept finding karaoke machines and such when I did a search and then put on back burner.

Again thanks for your feedback its very helpful.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere here that within a certain time period you can get a refund for the app?

Yeah, good two-way audio and BI is a pipe dream at this point. It is doable, but it is way too much like walkie-talkie when I was a kid LOL. But in a pinch, it is better than nothing.

You can certainly configure your system to use BI and the native Amcrest app - it does open up your system to exploits if the app requires internet connection and needs P2P to work. But if the app works without internet and you decide to lock down your system and use VPN to get back on your network and use the app, even better.

I do that with my Dahua OEM doorbell camera - I have true two-way talk using the Dahua app, along with the camera in BI.

Most of my two-way cameras are Dahua OEM from @EMPIRETECANDY a vendor here with an Amazon and AliExpress store. But I have a few of the Amcrest as well.

• The 4K/X - is a great camera with two-way talk capabilities. Video blows away the Amcrest LOL. The two-way in BI is better than the Amcrest, but not by a lot.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. This one works the best of the two-way talk cameras I have in BI, but still walkie-talkie like
  • VTO2311R-WP- this is the doorbell cam that has true two-way talk, but obviously not the ideal camera for every situation.

Regarding the automated messages and sires, I have spent a lot of time getting the right field of view and dialing the cameras in with their settings so that the camera AI works as intended and then not trying to do too much with the field of view as that will bring on the false triggers. I so rarely get a false trigger that I am totally comfortable running it and knowing that I will not get false triggers or wake the neighbors up at night for a deer triggering it LOL.

Amcrest is Dahua OEM, but usually with stripped down processors and sensors and such. For those, I will compliment it with DeepStack to ensure that the message or siren is for legit triggers.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere here that within a certain time period you can get a refund for the app?

Yeah, good two-way audio and BI is a pipe dream at this point. It is doable, but it is way too much like walkie-talkie when I was a kid LOL. But in a pinch, it is better than nothing.

You can certainly configure your system to use BI and the native Amcrest app - it does open up your system to exploits if the app requires internet connection and needs P2P to work. But if the app works without internet and you decide to lock down your system and use VPN to get back on your network and use the app, even better.

I do that with my Dahua OEM doorbell camera - I have true two-way talk using the Dahua app, along with the camera in BI.

Most of my two-way cameras are Dahua OEM from @EMPIRETECANDY a vendor here with an Amazon and AliExpress store. But I have a few of the Amcrest as well.

• The 4K/X - is a great camera with two-way talk capabilities. Video blows away the Amcrest LOL. The two-way in BI is better than the Amcrest, but not by a lot.
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. This one works the best of the two-way talk cameras I have in BI, but still walkie-talkie like
  • VTO2311R-WP- this is the doorbell cam that has true two-way talk, but obviously not the ideal camera for every situation.

Regarding the automated messages and sires, I have spent a lot of time getting the right field of view and dialing the cameras in with their settings so that the camera AI works as intended and then not trying to do too much with the field of view as that will bring on the false triggers. I so rarely get a false trigger that I am totally comfortable running it and knowing that I will not get false triggers or wake the neighbors up at night for a deer triggering it LOL.

Amcrest is Dahua OEM, but usually with stripped down processors and sensors and such. For those, I will compliment it with DeepStack to ensure that the message or siren is for legit triggers.
Thanks for your input. I contacted BI support and they seem to feel it should work so will see what they suggest. I am going to look into some of your suggestions and see if I cant get some sort of balance between BI and the app and wait for BI support to come back with their recommendations. So far I like Amcrest due to price point and performance and their support isnt as bad as other manufacturers but again probably not as good as others but its a balancing act. As far as dialing in the cameras for alerts within BI are you saying you use the cameras native settings to dial in or BI or a combination? What do you actually tinker with to get the best results? I have tried and tried but I seem to either go too far or too little and cant seem to hit the sweet spot within BI. I dont do anything within the cams other than setup main and sub stream config, TCP/IP, and some other basic settings to get them up and running and then turn to BI for most everything else.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting this thread back on topic with helpful information @rjp001, yes I think you will find Amcrest support better than most. But it really depends on who you talk to.

But the nice thing is you can use their app and BI at the same time for the camera, unlike other cloud based systems like a Ring or Arlo.

As far as dialing in for alerts in BI, it depends on what your circumstances are.

Many have found the AI in the cameras to be spot on, so for most of my cameras, I am using the native camera AI and simply having BI receive the ONVIF triggers to alert me.

If that is problematic for your field of view or your camera doesn't have AI capabilities, then you use the motion detection in BI and if needed use one of the AI programs available like DeepStack or SenseAI to help filter out branches or leaves blowing.

But for best results overall, and especially for AI, you need to dial the camera in to your field of view. There needs to be enough contrast that the AI algorithm can pick up a moving object that seems obvious to us when viewing it.

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input I am going to use your suggestions and tinker a bit and see where it leads me.

I did get a response from BI about the audio issue and it seems they use ANCIENT tech with regard to the 2 way called DirectSound which was deprecated somewhere back in the Vista days. They suggested getting another audio card but failed to mention which brand/models are compatible and given that the tech is dead am sure a landfill is the only place where they would be located. Call me zany but I didnt drop $600 for a new dedicated system only to have to install hammy downs. Its been about a decade +/- since DS was dropped but why they choose to continue to use it in software developed today is a mystery to me. There is some chatter about DS replacements for my realtek card but not sure if its worth the aggravation to try and get it working. I have been using the app along with my desktop which is clunky and will decide in the Spring which way I want to go after I have a chance to see what alternatives exist in the market place.

Thanks for all of your help and advice, it was very much appreciated. Be well.