Amcrest IP4M-1051W - I like it, but potentially better (sensor) options?

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Im not a fan of "app cameras" or anything requiring internet access, but I did want some type of wifi cam, that looked relatively "consumerish" for the living room. Some research later and I ended up on this Amcrest model, turns out I really like the camera - no issue setting up without providing an internet connection or forced to use an app, just connected to wired, configured via the web ui for my wireless network and deployed it on wifi. This allowed me to keep the camera segregated with my other ip cameras on a separate vlan without internet access, only the NVR (Ubiquiti binding ssid to vlan is awesome). Anyways the camera has been very reliable - no wifi drops like many report with wifi cams, or any of those issues. It works great with onvif universal driver in XProtect (well for everything but the talk back function, still working on that). Basically, its everything I would expect from a "standard" ip cam, in a consumer package, and a pretty nice price, got mine on Amazon renewed for around $65.

Anyways, thats the mini-review, if anyones interested Id be happy to post more, but heres where the real question comes in. So these appear to be Dahua OEM'd, just looking at the firmware, etc. Does anyone know if there is a similar camera out there, has the same wireless/firmware/PT functionalities, intended for indoor (to sit on a shelf), but has one of the IMX29x sensors in it? Dont get me wrong, the 4MP (think its Aptina) sensor in this model is nice, and during good lighting conditions it shines, but at night I cant help but look at my outdoor cams and wish I had that same sensor indoors. I dont plan to get rid of this one, but in fact am considering adding a second indoor cam, so if I could find something like this, Id def consider purchasing it to add to the lineup. Id also be willing to expand the budget, as I assume with the Starvis sensor itd be a bit more, say $100-125 price range?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have one of the IP3M-941B cams that use wirelessly (it's my only cam on wifi because I'm too lazy to do the work to wire it ) and it also has the Aptina AR0330 image sensor. For the limited use-case I use it for, it's OK. Amazon has them selling now for between $50-$60.