Amcrest IP5M-T1179E freezing after 3 days using 2020-12-30 firmware

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your work on this issue and keeping us in the loop. I bought one from amazon in Feb., got COVID with pneumonia a week later and by the time I was up to installing it, it was so hot outdoors I just could not deal with it. So I guess it's a good thing its still in the box but I am looking forward to this issue being resolved.

Amcrest sold TONS of these through promotions and through amazon and if they don't get it resolved soon I would think TONS of people will lose confidence in their products and may erase "Amcrest' from their future purchasing plans.

Thanks again...and fingers crossed!:cool:
Maybe most of the purchasers got the 2019-11-13 firmware version. That's running on 5 of my IP5M-T1179 cameras that I bought on Amazon in late 2020 and early 2021. They've been running without problems since I installed them.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m having good results so far with my 3 camera’s.
keep forgetting to check the firmware Ver. But they,ve been running flawlessly for 1 year.

wogfun

n3wb
Reaction score
So this thread just kinda dies out.... with no fix. I have 5 of these cams, 3 have been installed on a POE switch with UPS and have been up for YEARS. The other two I just got last month, and yup, freeze up every 4 days like clockwork. I've been writing down the dates and time and it's something like 3 1/2 days to the minute, every single time. The only difference between the new and old ones is the firmware. The cams that work are on V2.800.00AC000.0.R, Build Date: 2019-11-13, and the ones that freeze are V2.800.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-12 . This is the latest via the Amcrest website. Given this thread is 9 months old and they know about the issue does not inspire confidence. Does anyone have any info on this situation?

Also.... Amcrest firmware downloads have one previous version, only one. It is: V2.800.00AC001.0.R and this previous version also has the same issue. I must go back to V2.800.00AC000.0.R for this camera to work.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm, Sure sounds like the camera hardware has changed. Chip shortage might be the culprit. maybe they had to compromise on some parts to keep production going.
They do run hot. maybe they're getting too hot now.
have you tried lowering the frame rates to like 8-10 and run on H264 vs. h265? and I-frames match fps too?
In other words try running them under less demand and see if the problem changes or goes away.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So now, after this thread got bumped, I would definitely hold off on buying anymore. ( which I had considered a few cheap ones) to fill out the 8Ch IP NVR at home.

wogfun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm, Sure sounds like the camera hardware has changed. Chip shortage might be the culprit. maybe they had to compromise on some parts to keep production going.
They do run hot. maybe they're getting too hot now.
have you tried lowering the frame rates to like 8-10 and run on H264 vs. h265? and I-frames match fps too?
In other words try running them under less demand and see if the problem changes or goes away.
Amcrest tech support emailed me a new FW today. What I don't understand is, if this is the fix, why isn't this FW on the website for download (I already tried the latest on their website and it didn't work). I'll let you all know if this works.
Personally, I don't think it's a heat issue because the problem can be timed down to the minute. I've been keeping a list of exactly what time they fall offline and I can predict to the minute when it will freeze.

wogfun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello There, in some cases we can identify an issue before the customer. In your case that is what happened. It was sent to you before it could be posted. Amcrest Team
With due respect, this thread began over a year ago with the same exact issue. Maybe I'm not understanding something? I just loaded the new FW emailed to me, fingers crossed!

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm the OP on this topic. The problem never has been resolved, although the tech at Amcrest Support hung in there with me for over a month before I finally threw in the towel. There's a simple workaround that takes care of my needs: I just set the cameras that have the problem to reboot daily. All of my other cameras reboot weekly.

The reboot takes place between 2AM and 4AM and is staggered so that the cameras (4) are not all offline at the same time. The cameras are back up and running after about a minute or less, so not much imagery is lost.

I can confirm what other posters have said: the latest firmware version (21-07-12) available on the Amcrest website does not fix the problem.

I'm currently running 13 of these cameras. Other than this glitch, they have had near zero problems over several years now. I'm very happy with them and may buy more. Daytime and nighttime imagery and audio all are excellent for a $55 camera, IMO.

Last edited:

wogfun

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm the OP on this topic. The problem never has been resolved, although the tech at Amcrest Support hung in there with me for over a month before I finally threw in the towel. There's a simple workaround that takes care of my needs: I just set the cameras that have the problem to reboot daily. All of my other cameras reboot weekly.

The reboot takes place between 2AM and 4AM and is staggered so that the cameras (4) are not all offline at the same time. The cameras are back up and running after about a minute or less, so not much imagery is lost.

I can confirm what other posters have said: the latest firmware version (21-07-12) available on the Amcrest website does not fix the problem.

I'm currently running 13 of these cameras. Other than this glitch, they have had near zero problems over several years now. I'm very happy with them and may buy more. Daytime and nighttime imagery and audio all are excellent for a $55 camera, IMO.
The firmware emailed to me is dated 3/25/22, so it is newer than what is available on the Amcrest website. I still have 2 more days before I'll know for sure if it actually fixes the issue, but if it does I'm happy to share it with you.

I remain puzzled as to why this isn't available on their website (I haven't checked again, maybe they changed that since my last post). They claim it's so new they haven't gotten around to uploading it yet, but it's dated March, so what gives?

wogfun

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm the firmware emailed to me by Amcrest tech support fixes the problem. The two problematic cams have now been up a little over 4 days. The version you want to use is dated 3/25/22.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have one of these cameras with the 7-12-21 firmware and have not experienced the problem. It only has a few weeks of runtime on it, though. Glad to hear there is a firmware version that fixed it for the OP.

Last edited:

seanipcam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 Amcrest cameras that have issues
one IP8M-T2669EW-AI​
and two IP8M-2496EW-V2​
All three will fail after 3 days and 9 hours of operation.
When they "fail", they will maintain a network connection and respond to pings but essentially fail to respond to network requests. Actually they do intermittently work but not consistently enough to even load the full login page.

I have the same firmware as Swampledge

Software VersionV2.800.00AC001.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-12​
WEB VersionV3.2.1.880675​
ONVIF Version19.06(V2.6.1.845551)​

Yeah, this one drove me nuts. I replaced a PoE switch, some cables, some connectors, and swapped out a router. It took me a few weeks to realize this was based on camera boot time.
So I have enabled the daily scheduled reboot and will see if that works.
The 3/25/22 FW does work for wogfun it seems.
It looks like that firmware is available for both camera models. Good.