Amcrest IP8M-2599W mini review

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
well, yesterday I got the right mount in for the IP8M-2599W I'd gotten a week or two earlier, so I installed it, this is setup as a wide angle overview camera, installed pretty high up on my chimney overlooking the driveway parking area. As per other recent discussions, the correct outdoor wall bracket for this camera is the Dahua PDB204W, inspite of Amcrest claiming the 203 works (it doesn't, 203 is for cameras with 3 screw mounts, while this one has a 4 screw mount).

(yes, I know the chimney needs paint... actually I'd like to sand blast them (there's two on this house) down to the original brick, but thats another story)

I have it configured for 4K 15fps. the daytime video is OK, not much detail in the shadows, but I haven't played much with their config settings. initially it was rather nasty looking, I turned the color saturation up a bit, and also the gamma.

(amazon delivery today)

the night video is pretty awful. noisy and blurry. kinda what I expected.

(3 coyotes last night)

weirdest thing is the sound. I had a reolink rlc410 in the same place, and its sound was clean and clear, but the Amcrest sounds like its in a tunnel or something. birds tweeting sound OK, but passing cars have this weird tunnel echo sound... the road is about 220 feet from the camera.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I turn on HDR to about 20%. It makes daytime look a little washed out but you can see shadow areas.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
is that WDR on the "BLC" tab of configuration? yeah, that definitely brings up the shadows, cool, I reduced the 'boost "d put on Gamma and Saturation as the WDR seems to boost that quite a lot. of course, this morning here its all overcast, nice even grey light from all directions. sun should burn through soon enough.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
soooo. whats the URL for the substream on these amcrest cams? the main stream is /cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMINO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}, but the substream is blank in BlueIris camera setup -> video -> (Network IP: ....) Configure....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
soooo. whats the URL for the substream on these amcrest cams? the main stream is /cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMINO}&subtype=0&authbasic={AUTH64}, but the substream is blank in BlueIris camera setup -> video -> (Network IP: ....) Configure....
Change the 0 to a 1

/cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMINO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
meh, substream is max 704x something on this cam, and when in BI, its on the main screen of 5 cams tiled, its way fuzzy looking, so I went back to no substream, which yeah, uses ~ 10% more CPU, oh well.

I also have the 'preroll' set to 5 seconds prior to any trigger (and am thinking of increasing that to 10 seconds), not sure how that would work with substreams, it appears you get no preroll as BI would have to switch from the substream its using for motion detect and preview to the main stream for recording, and it would have to do that retroactively, which is kinda hard.