Amcrest IP8m-T2499E Pin out Question

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Amcrest IP8M-T2499E camera. It is powered by POE on a underground rated ethernet wire. I had a lighten strike that took out the switch that was powering the camera. After testing the ethernet cable I have found out that the Green/White wire is open and the camera will not work. My question is are all 8 wires in the ethernet wire used by the camera. If not, which wires are used. I am hoping I can use one that is not being used and just replace the green/white with one not being used. I have been told that the cameras only use 4 of the 8 wires in the cable. Thanks

Revo2Maxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While 4 of the 8 wires are all that is needed to make the camera work yes.. The fact is that the camera is wired in a way that would require you to wire it as setup or the camera will fail if not connected to the right system!

Can I ask how you know for sure that the Green white wire is no longer working?

Anyway, The best thing to do is find someone that has the same camera if they would be willing to tone out the wiring from the camera ethernet to the inside connector. The issue is at times the camera could be short sourced and the wiring that is used isn't the same color to say another one that was built before or after that LOT.. However the PCB connector to the Ethernet will be wired the same no matter what the color of wire is used..

Best way to tone out the wires for what pin is what is to use a wire that has only 1 RJ45 connected to the wire and the other end removed.. Normally 1, 2, 3 and 6 are needed for the camera to work. with you saying that the Green/White wire AKA pin 3 sure enough the camera won't work..

Here is what some people don't understand about POE, With the Amcrest using Mode A using 1, 2, 3 and 6 pins. the data and power share the same wires Positive voltage V+ runs on 1 and 2 the Negative voltage V- runs on 3 and 6. Other systems that work on Mode B need all 8 wires where 4 5 and 78 would be power and first 4 wires would be data..

What I would do, Is confirm the wire colors for the connector and replace it with a tool less key stone jack and just make sure that the cable is not exposed to the weather. I am talking about one like these. I only picked this one because they offer 6 for double what others are selling 2 for. Why get 1/3 for 1/2 the cost. 6 Pcs RJ45 Cat5E Network LAN Ethernet Keystone Jack Tool Less Snap In 8P8C Ivory | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cleve

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While 4 of the 8 wires are all that is needed to make the camera work yes.. The fact is that the camera is wired in a way that would require you to wire it as setup or the camera will fail if not connected to the right system!

Can I ask how you know for sure that the Green white wire is no longer working?

Anyway, The best thing to do is find someone that has the same camera if they would be willing to tone out the wiring from the camera ethernet to the inside connector. The issue is at times the camera could be short sourced and the wiring that is used isn't the same color to say another one that was built before or after that LOT.. However the PCB connector to the Ethernet will be wired the same no matter what the color of wire is used..

Best way to tone out the wires for what pin is what is to use a wire that has only 1 RJ45 connected to the wire and the other end removed.. Normally 1, 2, 3 and 6 are needed for the camera to work. with you saying that the Green/White wire AKA pin 3 sure enough the camera won't work..

Here is what some people don't understand about POE, With the Amcrest using Mode A using 1, 2, 3 and 6 pins. the data and power share the same wires Positive voltage V+ runs on 1 and 2 the Negative voltage V- runs on 3 and 6. Other systems that work on Mode B need all 8 wires where 4 5 and 78 would be power and first 4 wires would be data..

What I would do, Is confirm the wire colors for the connector and replace it with a tool less key stone jack and just make sure that the cable is not exposed to the weather. I am talking about one like these. I only picked this one because they offer 6 for double what others are selling 2 for. Why get 1/3 for 1/2 the cost. 6 Pcs RJ45 Cat5E Network LAN Ethernet Keystone Jack Tool Less Snap In 8P8C Ivory | eBay
I have a ethernet wire tester that test all 8 wires. It would skip over #3 (green/white) but the other 7 tested fine. I then took an ohm meter and checked each wire with the same results, green/white open. So I made some pig tails as you suggested and connect them together with jumper wires to another camera in the house. It worked out like you said, 1-orange/white, 2-orange, 3-green/white, and 6-Green, and the test camera came on. So I swapped the green/white wire with the brown/white wire in the cable that has the open wire. I moved brown/white to #3 and green/white to #7 on both ends of the wire. But when i take it to the install location it will not work. When I tested it in the house I was using only about 3 feet of wire. At the install location the ethernet cable is about 300 feet from the switch. Don't know if this makes a difference or not.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Revo2Maxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To fix the camera issue the camera will need to be taken apart. Will need to test camera wire from connecter that connects to the PCB inside the housing If that wire is still good and you get a bad reading while using your testing hardware then the next step is Board Level Repair. If you were lucky it only took out the Protection Diode. Then if it was not caused by the storm but was caused by some bad cabling it could be that the Ethernet Transformer is bad.. If you don't have the soldering hardware or know how to find the issue on the PCB and the camera is cheap enough it might be better to replace the camera.. Unless you know someone that does that kind of repairs and will work on it for a Beer and the Parts lol.. If you were close to me I would repair or at least look over what the issue is a go from there.. When it comes to what I will or won't work on for me, I take the cost of the hardware and how hard it is to source a new camera over what the cost or time to wait for parts that I would have to get from other side of the pond.. However if you take my 899 MSRP camera, if it dies I will repair because the cost to repair would be less then 10th the cost of the camera. Time I measure in money as well. But for 900 bucks I am willing to wait for extra time for the parts lol..