Amcrest IP8M-T2669. Looking for something better.

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't chase megapixels unless you don't need/want good night performance. Chase sensor size. The sensor in that camera works well at 2MP, which is why it's a lower priced camera. In that camera 1/4 of the light reaches each pixel, sensor element, than in a 2MP sensor the same size. That means it needs four times the light to be able to perform well. Perform well means blur free video with little or no visible light. Try one of these, only 2MP, but much better night performance although they are a little more expensive by 20 to 30 bucks. Both are available from Andy, a forum member, at EmpireTech.

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

Andy
IPCT Thread

Andy's Store

King Security/EmpireTech Store

Email
Andy Wang kingsecurity2014@163.com

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know that sensor size is critical. How well does a 2mp zoom on items such as a license plate?
I think I would like to go with 4mp minimum.
Thanks

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP "
Do you have a camera in mind with these specs?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 series is the goto for a 4MP camera. Don't totally discount 2MP though. They still provide excellent video both day and night with an appropriate sensor size. For LPR I'll give you a few links to read as well.

5442 Reviews

LPR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2MP is more than enough for LPR. Focal length, distance to plate, and shutter speed are more important. Heck I have an old analog camera at 720P that works just fine, and OpenALPR recommends 720P in some instances.

Heck I even created a thread showing OpenALPR can read plates with a D1 resolution....

But your little 2.8mm fixed lens camera ain't gonna cut it unless the car is right on top of the camera moving at a slow speed.

The biggest thing we see is people always underestimate the actual distance. 50 feet turns out to be 75 feet and then the camera selected isn't the right one.

The Z12E is capable of reasonable distances of 150 feet, but people have been able to get it to 220 feet, especially with additional IR.

The Z4E is the next camera that people have tried, but most have found beyond 50 feet, it is difficult to make out the plates because the optical zoom of that camera is half of the Z12E optical zoom.

After that, it would be one of the varifocal turrets, but those will only reach about 30 feet, but do work well on a mailbox at the street. About half the price of the Z12E.

The Z12E and Z4E are the same price, so between the two, why not buy the one that provides the best opportunity to get a longer distance if needed.

During daytime it may act as an overview, but at night the shutter tends to need to be faster to capture the plate, and the faster the shutter, the darker the image.

Most of us run B/W to take advantage of the reflective properties of a plate which is why we can run a faster shutter to get the plates. Once you decide to keep it in color, the shutter speed slows way down and might not be fast enough to actually capture a plate.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1636591991533.png