AmCrest + NAS on VPN

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys-
Been reading a TON, doing lots of searches- but MAN I am confused. I hope someone can give me some insights...

I have a new Netgear Nighthawk router (flashed with dd-wrt), Synology NAS, and a couple AmCrest IP Cameras. I want to setup a VPN so that I can login and see my IPCams from the ios app (or BI if I can ever get THAT to work, but I digress) as well as access my PCs (Win10) and Synology NAS. Obviously, I want everything behind the VPN.

I've been told OpenVPN is the way to go, and is already on my DD-WRT. My problem is, some of the tutorials I read on setting it up say that I can only browse the internet with it, but cannot access the IPCams or NAS. I'm soo confused.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thank you soo much!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on how its setup; it can be configured to simply secure your internet traffic from a remote place.. but thats not what you want.

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, it's not what I want. What do you suggest? Any specific resources to look at? It's pretty overwhelming out there!

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, BTW... ;)

Also- forgot to mention- the IP Cams are NOT running to the NAS in any way, I'm not recording anything. They're just our nanny cams to watch our kids- but want them secure so no creepers can spy on us! :)

Thanks for the help!

eyal8r

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK- seen this, but wasn't sure if this would in fact, allow the IP Cams & NAS access the way I'm wanting to do. I'll keep reading and post back. Thank you!