Amcrest POE NVR, can't get camera connected

soulchief

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased an Amcrest POE NVR (NV4108E) and a Hikvision camera (DS-2CD3132F-IW).

I've setup the NVR and plugged the camera into the POE port of the NVR. The lights on the camera turns on, but it's as if it cannot connect to the network. It doesn't show up when I try to search for devices in the NVR. I checked my router to see what devices are connected to the network and it's not showing up there either.

Is there some sort of setting I need to turn on with the NVR before it adds the camera to the network? I can't find any kind of manual for it, the manual on their website doesn't download for me.

soulchief

n3wb
Reaction score
Contact Amcrest, they have great customer service. The Amcrest site also has a forum. 888.212.7538 https://amcrest.com/forum/

Are you using SADPTool to see the cameras and configure them?
Thanks, I'll try posting there as well.

I tried SADPTool and it didn't even see the camera. I have a POE switch coming tomorrow so I'm going to try plugging it into that instead of the NVR to see if it can pick it up. Maybe there's an IP conflict or something, and I need to change the IP on it.

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The POE switch will most likely work and at least you can troubleshoot from there.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's lots going wrong here. NVR supports 1080p and cameras are 3MP but this can be fixed and the NVR doesn't support Hikvision cameras directly anyway (can be frigged).

Can you send the NVR back? If so, do it and get a Hikvision NVR. As general advice, if you have Hikvision cameras and you want an NVR then get a Hikvision one.

soulchief

n3wb
Reaction score
So connecting it to a POE switch allowed the NVR to access it, but I'm having all kinds of troubles with the NVR being able to work with the camera (it shows the video, but can't seem to do motion detection through the NVR, just through the camera). Asked on their forum and they said Amcrest won't work well with other cameras (even though their Amazon page says it works with Hikvision and a bunch of others). Going to just return the NVR to Amazon.

What NVR should I get instead? I'd like to be under $250 Canadian, hikvision seems to be a lot more (at least on amazon). I guess it doesn't need to be POE anymore since i'll just use the POE switch. Just want it to support at least 8 channels.

Should I get Blue Iris instead? I believe I have an old mini pc with 4gb ram, 1tb hard drive that isn't being used. Just don't remember what the processor was. If I do get Blue Iris i'll eventually just build a new computer for it after awhile.

Edit: Maybe I'll just get the hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 english/international version from china for around $250. I'll only be using hikvision cameras, and the power usage / price would be less then a computer.

Last edited by a moderator: