AMD Ryzen 7 @100% CPU

CarterIT

n3wb
Reaction score
Just installed the Blue Iris software on a new mini computer I purchased off of Amazon. Click here to see the Specs. This computer has a Ryzen 7 4. GHz processor and 16GB RAM with lots of Drive space. I added a second Samsung 1TB SSD to store the DVR/NVR data. For some reason the CPU is pegged at 100% when I run the application. This only happens with this application. Not sure why. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? I'd appreciate any help you have to offer.

I attached a video that shows the software the overtaxed CPU.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using substreams and have you optimized BI per the wiki?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running BI as a service behind the scenes? (ie is BI recording without the actual BI app open)? Is the 100% CPU usage only when the BI app is actually open and loaded on the screen, or is the BI service always pegged at 100% even with the app closed?

CarterIT

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you using substreams and have you optimized BI per the wiki?
Not sure what a substream is, I'm pretty green when it comes to video feeds. We purchased this software to replace the garbage Hikvision interface we had. Our sister company is using this and they loved it. They said it setup easy and had no issues. I could pick their brain on how they set it up, but thought I would try the community 1st.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a mini and as such are not recommended. It is has been proven that USB storage devices cannot keep up with the 24/7 constant demands of camera data, even though the USB rating is more than adequate - that is instantaneous and not sustained. When I tried it with just two cameras is sputtered after 25min and CPU shot up and the drive couldn't keep up.

You would be much better off with a used i5-8500 at around $100-$150

1699907992172.png

You need to enable the substreams in BI in the pulldown

1699908068780.png

I strongly consider you look at this optimization and guide and make sure you are doing EVERYTHING in it - it is the only chance a mini has, and even then it may not be adequate.

CarterIT

n3wb
Reaction score
The additional 1TB SSD I added is internal, it is not plugged into the USB port. So it should be fine.

When I added the path's to the stream profiles I get the following:

View attachment 177787

This is the one of the 11 Camera's we have throughout our facility.

CarterIT

n3wb
Reaction score
OK So I found an old Linux Server that we no longer have in service, It has an ASROCK H270M-ITX/ac motherboard that has an Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz processor and 16GB RAM. I Installed Windows 11 Pro and added the new server to our local domain and moved our current Blue Iris installation and configuration to this new server. That made all the difference in the world. The CPU usage is now at most that I have witnessed at 7%. The software is way more responsive too and the camera footage is is no longer skipping around which is the cats meow. The mini PC is definitely not meant to be used for this type of application. We are good to go and I have all of the cams recording now and have them configured as the Wiki suggest.

We appreciate everyone's input and help to get us to this point.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That mini PC should handle Blue Iris just fine with optimizations applied. Although you should have picked a much better one for cheaper, such as something based on Ryzen 5 5600U. About double the CPU performance and more than $100 cheaper.

Really just the first two optimizations on this page should be all you need. Direct-to-disc recording, and sub streams for every camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

CarterIT

n3wb
Reaction score