An odd problem with Android Chrome browswer and BI web ui

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Today is a day where I'm digging into and attempting to resolve all manner of minor irritations. I've solved a few on my own, and one with fenderman's help, and I'm down to my last one for the day.

I usually use the BI app when accessing my system remotely. But sometimes I'd rather log into the webUI instead. On my new phone (OnePlus 6T), when using the Chrome browser while on mobile data, I make it to the web login screen just fine. I enter my credentials, and it looks like it's about to log me in, then it dumps me back to the log on screen. Grrr.

I tried this on my tablet, also using Chrome and mobile data, and it works perfectly.

I also tried this on my phone using Opera browser installed just to troubleshoot this, and it works perfectly.

This is freaking me out, not because it doesn't have a workaround (it does, use Opera, live happy), but because I don't understand why it's failing in the first place, given that every other way/device/software login works fine.

So, on my phone, using Chrome:
When inside my home LAN (on my router's WiFi), I can connect directly to the BI PC's web interface like this and it works:
192.168.X.X:81
This takes me to the login screen; all of my three BI remote access accounts work here. None of them are set to be LAN-only by the way.

but if instead I type
MyDomainName.net:81
This takes me to the login screen just fine, so I'm connecting, but none of the accounts authenticate me; I get dumped back to the login screen. Only on chrome. Either on my LAN wifi or via LTE. Same deal. But it works fine in Opera, using wifi or LTE. Arrg!!

The port forwarding thing is going away in a month, but still am dying to find out why this happens only with chrome on only one device, whereas everything else works perfectly. And again, I triple checked, none of the accounts are restricted to LAN usage.

Ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A few people have reported this but so far I have not been able to reproduce it or get remote access to an affected system. This is the first I have heard of it happening on a phone.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
A few people have reported this but so far I have not been able to reproduce it or get remote access to an affected system. This is the first I have heard of it happening on a phone.
It's so weird because it's only on one device and one browser on that device and only accessing in one particular way on that browser...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Frankenscript

I may have the answer to your problem. Look through the Chrome settings and make sure the "Data Saver" setting is disabled. This feature works by sending requests through Google's servers so they can add a layer of compression, but somewhere along the way it breaks Blue Iris's login process. I just got finished helping someone else who had the "Data Saver" extension installed in desktop Chrome. Chrome on Android has this feature built-in but it is not usually enabled by default.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
@Frankenscript

I may have the answer to your problem. Look through the Chrome settings and make sure the "Data Saver" setting is disabled. This feature works by sending requests through Google's servers so they can add a layer of compression, but somewhere along the way it breaks Blue Iris's login process. I just got finished helping someone else who had the "Data Saver" extension installed in desktop Chrome. Chrome on Android has this feature built-in but it is not usually enabled by default.
DING DING DING!

This was it. Thank you.

Not sure why my Data Saver was on, but it was, and turning it off fixed the log on problem. Well done!

I'm using a OnePlus 6T, pretty much stock, that I got myself for Christmas, so it must have been enabled by default for me.

Anyway, you nailed it. Have a nice weekend! And thanks again

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk