Analog "Live View" is blurred around the edges of images

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Analog "Live View" is blurred around the edges of images until brought into focus by double-clicking on the frame you want to enlarge.

Is there a reason for this?

I don't recall this problem until upgrading to "newest" firmware for DS-7216HWI-SH DVR. In fact, the "firmware" version that I upgraded to, is no longer offered on Hikvision Support/Downloads page.

I did not have this problem with previous version of client-monitoring software. However, on some of my devices, they are operating on the "latest" version of the client software as well. I also have a device running original version that I had installed prior to DVR firmware upgrade. That installation would not work after the DVR upgrade. Installation of the "newest" version of the client software was unsuccessful multiple times, giving same error message. So, I figured, why not try to re-install original version....got nothing to lose at this point. Well, re-installation of original client software worked, but it also has the blurred edges of images in each camera frame.

The really weird part is that if you open up one of the Live View frames to full size [monitor screen maximum], the clarity shows up after about a 1 to 2 second delay. Really bizarre. Am about ready to go looking for an entirely different system. Hikvision is a really sorry company, imo....period.

On the upside, I AM recording simultaneously [redundantly]. The NAS is transcoding the 960H to 1080p, well....that's what it says anyway. I don't know enough to know whether it is or not. I'm just tickled that the NAS is recording the same thing the DVR's internal HDDs are recording, and at the same time. I also have a backup going on a dedicated machine.

Anyhow, if you have any ideas, I sure would be open to them...it is irritating to open up a software package that does not automatically reflect the clarity of your camera....regardless of the camera resolution.

Thank you for reading all my rambling....

p.s. Playback is not a problem....resolution is as good as it was recorded. It is just the when in Live View that the camera images are blurred. I have a 9-frame view.
Also, HDMI to LED flatscreen TV, shows excellent clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You say analog, but it sounds like digital, and like the NVR is showing a sub stream and then loading the full stream when you fullscreen a camera. This would not explain blur being only around the edges of images, but it would explain the delay between low quality and high quality.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you provide screenshots? but I think @bp2008 is right that your switching between substreams and main streams.. perhaps you need to work on improving your substream quality settings?

When in a grid most live displays show substreams, and then when you full screen a camera it switches to the mainstream.. it takes alot more work for the client to display 9 full quality streams at once, since the extra resolution wont be utilized in a grid they just stream the sub until you change to a size that will show the extra pixels.

If your substreams are optimized for remote viewing over a slow upstream connection it could be such a low bitrate it looks "fussy or blurry" on your local Live View, this is why alot of cameras will come with the capability for 3 sub-streams.. high resolution for full screen/recordings, low resolution high fps for camera walls, and a high resolution low fps for mobile devices connected remotely.

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You say analog, but it sounds like digital, and like the NVR is showing a sub stream and then loading the full stream when you fullscreen a camera. This would not explain blur being only around the edges of images, but it would explain the delay between low quality and high quality.
You are correct. DVR is actually a digital recorder: https://www.123securityproducts.com/ds-7216hwi-sh.html
I did not know that one could control the Live View resolution.View attachment IPCamTalk.docx

The screenshots don't show what I'm seeing on my monitor.

What is bizarre is that before I "updated" the firmware offered once upon a time but no longer is offered, my Live View was as crisp and clear as the HDMI visuals on the 48 Inch LED. I did not have the little "jumping" of the picture either. I've not gone back to the prior version of firmware because the Hikvision Support/Downloads doco stated clearly that once flashed, no return possible. It was very clear that you could not go back in versions, so I've been operating from that premise.

I may have screwed up Live View feed. I don't know....I managed to get the DVR to start recording to my QNAP NAS. I've been trying to make that happen for almost a year, I think. I get error messages every time I do something inside the Record Schedule tab but it saves everything to the DVR obviously because the files are being recorded on both the internal HDDs and the NAS. It took setting access rights for NFS file system on the NAS as well as setting up the NAS as a Storage Device on the DVR...that may not be the correct way to do it, but it is working.

I'll play with camera setting to see if I can improve Live View.

Thanks!

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are correct. DVR is actually a digital recorder: https://www.123securityproducts.com/ds-7216hwi-sh.html
I did not know that one could control the Live View resolution.View attachment 8749

The screenshots don't show what I'm seeing on my monitor.

What is bizarre is that before I "updated" the firmware offered once upon a time but no longer is offered, my Live View was as crisp and clear as the HDMI visuals on the 48 Inch LED. I did not have the little "jumping" of the picture either. I've not gone back to the prior version of firmware because the Hikvision Support/Downloads doco stated clearly that once flashed, no return possible. It was very clear that you could not go back in versions, so I've been operating from that premise.

I may have screwed up Live View feed. I don't know....I managed to get the DVR to start recording to my QNAP NAS. I've been trying to make that happen for almost a year, I think. I get error messages every time I do something inside the Record Schedule tab but it saves everything to the DVR obviously because the files are being recorded on both the internal HDDs and the NAS. It took setting access rights for NFS file system on the NAS as well as setting up the NAS as a Storage Device on the DVR...that may not be the correct way to do it, but it is working.

I'll play with camera setting to see if I can improve Live View.

Thanks!

I've attached a pdf of screenshots showing camera and image config settings....oh, I changed Zero Channel Max Bitrate to 1792 Kbps. Original screenshot shows 1024. Nothing changed.
View attachment IPCamTalk_2.pdf
Attached are screenshots that DO show the difference in clarity. [Was difficult to get them - you really have to be fast]
View attachment IPCAm Images.docx

And, as always, Thank you!

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I've attached a pdf of screenshots showing camera and image config settings....oh, I changed Zero Channel Max Bitrate to 1792 Kbps. Original screenshot shows 1024. Nothing changed.
View attachment 8750
Attached are screenshots that DO show the difference in clarity. [Was difficult to get them - you really have to be fast]
View attachment 8751

And, as always, Thank you!
UPDATE:
Installed PCNVR. Picture clarity second to none, considering surveillance system limitations. Go figure, right?