Analog system

Reaction score
Can someone help I have a bunch of good older digital colour Bosch cams and wanted to connect simply to a old colour tv through the antenna cable connection with rg6 cable with f connector to tv and other end to BNC connector to camera and power to camera. When this is all connected camera is powered since I can see the night LED’s when cover the sensor and hear it click when powers is connected. But on screen only snow is seen . you can tell that camera is trying because a shadow is seen in the snow on screen when you pass your hand in front of cam. Seems to be a signal or interference type scenario. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong. Seems like I’m missing something

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone help I have a bunch of good older digital colour Bosch cams and wanted to connect simply to a old colour tv through the antenna cable connection with rg6 cable with f connector to tv and other end to BNC connector to camera and power to camera. When this is all connected camera is powered since I can see the night LED’s when cover the sensor and hear it click when powers is connected. But on screen only snow is seen . you can tell that camera is trying because a shadow is seen in the snow on screen when you pass your hand in front of cam. Seems to be a signal or interference type scenario. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong. Seems like I’m missing something
If the old TV has a composite ("Video") input (usually a yellow RCA female jack) then you should be able to use an adapter to go from BNC to RCA and plug the cam into the TV and change TV input to "AV", "Composite" or "Audio-Video" or the like.

If the old TV has only a F antenna connector then the composite output of the analog cam will need to be modulated into a low power RF signal then the TV tuned to that channel. You connect the camera's analog output to the input of the modulator then connect the output of the modulator to the TV's antenna jack. The modulator usually has a selectable channel and you use the one that is NOT used in your local broadcast area for OTA (Over The Air) TV broadcasts. I'm not sure about Canada so if you decide to go that route insure you get the correct version for your area, as IIRC there's also a UHF version; I've only used the VHF channel 3/4 version here in the U.S.

Welcome to IPCT! Maybe this will stimulate you to read the Wiki, the Cliff Notes and perhaps invest in some newer tech and build up a new system !

EDIT: I understand that Canada, like the U.S., uses NTSC format on their analog TV's so if the cam is switchable between PAL and NTSC insure it's set to be compatible with the TV.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If the old TV has a composite ("Video") input (usually a yellow RCA female jack) then you should be able to use an adapter to go from BNC to RCA and plug the cam into the TV and change TV input to "AV", "Composite" or "Audio-Video" or the like.

If the old TV has only a F antenna connector then the composite output of the analog cam will need to be modulated into a low power RF signal then the TV tuned to that channel. You connect the camera's analog output to the input of the modulator then connect the output of the modulator to the TV's antenna jack. The modulator usually has a selectable channel and you use the one that is NOT used in your local broadcast area for OTA (Over The Air) TV broadcasts. I'm not sure about Canada so if you decide to go that route insure you get the correct version for your area, as IIRC there's also a UHF version; I've only used the VHF channel 3/4 version here in the U.S.

Welcome to IPCT! Maybe this will stimulate you to read the Wiki, the Cliff Notes and perhaps invest in some newer tech and build up a new system !

EDIT: I understand that Canada, like the U.S., uses NTSC format on their analog TV's so if the cam is switchable between PAL and NTSC insure it's set to be compatible with the TV.
Yes that’s what I’m talkin about! Someone who sounds like they know their stuff. I was so stumped on this situation and speaking to a tech that called me back today I explain my situation and he mentioned something like the signal is compressed from the camera and the regular tv can’t view it unless it transformed with something I forgot what he said. Any how what you have stated above sounds soooo right I will try what you said and hopefully it works. As for your latter statement of upgrading, I have with the main house currently using a 1080p 8 channel NVR system. But this set up I had asked help on is because I came into a bunch of these great quality older Bosch digital cams and want to run them for my garage and other odd spots I want real time viewing when I’m in my garage working to see the property. I hate wasting good things if they work and I’m learning at the same time . So thanks a lot for the great explanation and info.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.