Analysis paralysis: low voltage cables through drywall

sleetdawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, I step away from the interwebs for a while and get all this advice. Thanks, everyone!

I ended up changing the install location. The corner I was going to use turned out to have too many other logistical issues, so my wife caved on letting me use my original choice - part of an existing convenient closet. The closet is in the same room but backs right up to the attic in a more centralized location.

I fastened a couple pieces of plywood to the wall and installed an open frame 19" rack on the wall. I used 2" PVC electrical conduit to punch several paths through the plywood/sheetrock/insulation into the attic.

I still need to work out proper ventilation for the closet - just leaving the closet open for now. I have a couple large switches, my NAS, a server, and a few other heat generating widgets in there. I have an HVAC guy coming next week to give me some options.

On the plus side, I got my first three Duhau IPC-HDW5231R-Z cameras installed and running on this system!

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty close to what I did. If I use firecaulk and need to add/replace a cable down the road, how will that work?
The firecaulk does not set rock hard and is removable with some effort, it sets up like regular caulk. In general, the application of 1" thickness in your case would probably suffice.

I don't mean to make your install any more complicated, but be careful with using PVC conduit where a fire rating is required. In the event of a fire it's desired to slow the spread of fire/smoke from one space to another. This 3M product is listed and used widely in commercial applications. There are many guidelines specifying its application, but generally using PVC conduit would not be a listed method. Here in the U.S., the NFPA codes would apply.

Last edited:

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How I ran multiple wires from my attic to basementIMG_20170301_173055.jpgIMG_20170301_173108.jpgIMG_20170301_173113.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How I ran multiple wires from my attic to basementView attachment 15757View attachment 15758View attachment 15759

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Very nice and well thought out installation. I like how you used two 45 degree elbows instead of two 90's to get to the high point of your attic. I don't know the temperature swings where you live, but be aware of thermal expansion with PVC conduit. The length of your run may not cause problems, but your conduit straps need to be loose enough to allow for movement due to thermal expansion. Also, for 2" (?) PVC conduit your conduit straps should not be spaced more than 5' apart.

Attachments

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I considered two 90 elbows but wanted the cleaner installation and the 45 degree elbows would make wire-pulling easier. I used 1.25" conduit; didn't really know any specs for strapping spacing but the conduit is pretty solid to the house. Also, I looked at your attached article: it looks like at the extreme of the temperatures, I am looking at no more than 1" of expansion so I should be ok. Thanks for the info