Android Stick use with security cameras

jcummins

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not an installer or in the camera business.

I'm in the process of installing some IP security cameras. Our house layout puts most of our activity towards the back of the house, and several times people have driven up and we have no idea they are there. I'm wanting to put a monitor on the wall in the kitchen. Problem is the NVR is in a closet some 20+ feet away. Routing a HDMI is possible...but very problematic. My research shows the answer is an Android stick.....a smartphone minus the display, battery, and cell functions. I can plug it in to the monitor, run the Android software to display on the monitor.

My question is...which Android stick. This is somewhat of a newer item to most people, and I do not want to go simply by the reviews on say Amazon. I've asked around, and nobody has dealt with them. I know there are some knowledge guys on this forum, and hoping someone on here has paid the dues so to speak and can speak well of a certain brand. Anyone?

This system unlike many on here is a packaged system from Alibi...but got a very decent buy on it...I think.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@jcummins There are several manufactures of the Android sticks - most all come from China and are comparable. I would assure it includes 1 or 2 use ports for keyboards or a mouse, and assure it has internal wireless built in and not some funky antennas. After that its pretty much all the same - just make sure it has the latest version of released android. All remember you need to assure what ever application you want to run as your viewer is supported in "tablet" form. If the application is only available on cell phones it will be stretched and skewed to much on the TV and will look like crap.

Be aware while this is a solution - I have used an Intel Compute stick to accomplish this via running the web browser, however the best option is to run that HDMI cable as the sticks just don't have the "power" to normally run 24/7 showing all cameras as you'll start to notice some cameras lagging behind depending on the number of cameras and quality you have set.

Also If you have an HIK NVR, they support Touch Screen monitors so you could run an HDMI and USB over ethernet from the monitor to the NVR and have a nice touch screen setup. Here is an example of one I did using this monitor that I picked up on sale for $119 a few months back

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/955856/Acer-UT220HQL-215-LED-LCD-Touchscreen/

IMG_1827.JPGIMG_1826.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use an android smartphone near the front door, and have an Amazon Fire stick which runs blue iris 24/7 so I can just flick using the to remote to see what's happening outside.

The amazon Fire stick needed a bit of tweaking to load the app, if you have a bit of technical Know how it's easy though.