Angle for Reading License Plates

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I purchased a camera (IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E) specifically for reading license plates. Ideally, I can mount it directly next to an overview camera. However, the angle seems kind of steep, see attachment. is there any chance this will work reliably? The only other alternative is putting the cam in that dark area (bark) on the left side of the screenshot. There the angle is a lot better (more direct to the cars passing by) and it will be a lot lower (maybe 2 feet above ground). The only issue is that it will look ugly and it will expose the cam to people that just want to kick it, spray it, steal it, etc.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to try to flatten the angle as much as possible.

If you angle down and zoom in to the area about in red you will have some success.

1649328494884.png

Or you could put it lower as you said but then hide it in a planter, hose reeel, or even ornamental lighting.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What wittaj said above. But you might get some reflections off that floodlamp in the lens whether or not it is in the frame.

Reaction score
Use a test rig to mount the cam and see. That is the only real way to find out.

You could do a hidden cam like others have done. Some use a birdhouse or in a mailbox post.

I built a box and have it in the garden. See thread: