Another Blue Iris CPU post... opinion

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not all my cams are at 1080.. I still have some 4mp and even an 8mp currently running with CUDA. I've spent some time on the blue iris helper, but once I get things running the way I'd like I'll def be spending more time on there in the future. That database has definitely been nice!

Jaceon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something minor I found interesting... With my setup... The more cameras I put on CUDA the more my total Watts consumed goes down, do to my CPU usage dropping. Moral of the story in my scenario at least... If your gonna have one of these power hungry cards installed.. you might as well use it to the max..

Reaction score
I think the only reason you would be seeing CUDA usage reducing your total power consumption is due to the CPU you are using. As a general rule CUDA implementation is less efficient than Quicksync CPU, so if you were using 20 cams on a 6th gen i7, probably you would not see this same impact.

However, while in your case it might very well make sense (or for others using an old Xeon) non-Quicksync cpu, you could also significantly reduce your overall power usage by just dropping $300 on a refurb 6th-7th gen setup. Going that route the system would pay for itself just based on electrical usage.

Last edited: