Another camera placement question

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recommendations ?
cant go wrong with stainless steel; go check out what your LHS has for lag bolts.. at least get something coated/galvanized so u dont get rust stains on your siding.

with a couple inches of penetration into the framing of your house a bear would not rip it off

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Lag bolts? Any deck screws would be fingerproof for theft prevention and also weatherproof. If they bring tools to steal your cameras they're gonna be gone. Lag bolts start at 1/4" and are kinda overkill...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah deck screws, sorry had a brain fart.. anything's better than the cheap china crap the camera came with, those will proabibly break the head off if you try to screw em into anything harder than cardboard.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what kinda cheese substitute they use for the included installation screws on some things. The stuff kinda LOOKS like metal but I bet a 3D printer would make a stronger screw.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know what kinda cheese substitute they use for the included installation screws on some things. The stuff kinda LOOKS like metal but I bet a 3D printer would make a stronger screw.
I never used those screws I always go out and buy the biggest screw that will fit in the hole of the camera mounting bracket .

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So while I was waiting for night to come, so I could test the night image I decided to go in the attic and figure out how to pull the wire. To my surprise there's no way I can get attic access to where I need to be,or even close So really the only option I have is to run the cat6 under the sliding. Which sucks because I wanted to go right up the soffit to the attic. I had to put cable under the sliding another camera I installed, so I no I can get the fat rj45 connector under the siding. Here are some pictures any thoughts?

I'm thinking of running the cat6 cable where my finger is at in the picture . Then the camera wire and rj45 connector under the sliding. I can run it to the garage soffit where I can access it through the attic .

Attachments

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Ten bucks is a crazy good deal for 33' worth of fish sticks plus ends.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's vinyl sofit vent, take the section out next to the location you want the cam, will give you much better access and way to attach some extra support for the cam, hidden above the sofit. Usually easy to remove, and put back in.....well easier then trying to fight getting a wire pulled any distance through a 3/4" hole.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's vinyl sofit vent, take the section out next to the location you want the cam, will give you much better access and way to attach some extra support for the cam, hidden above the sofit. Usually easy to remove, and put back in.....well easier then trying to fight getting a wire pulled any distance through a 3/4" hole.
Interesting do they just push them out? I have tried to take one out but didn't have much luck, it was starting to bend to where it might permanently bend it.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would their be any disadvantages of running it under the sliding?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have actually ran wire both ways. Up through the soffit to the attic, and along the sliding. I think it's more professional to go up through the soffit to the attic. When running it along the sliding I worry about the rj45 connector getting moisture in it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have actually ran wire both ways. Up through the soffit to the attic, and along the sliding. I think it's more professional to go up through the soffit to the attic. When running it along the sliding I worry about the rj45 connector getting moisture in it.
Buy one of these at your local HD, and it helps. You use it where the two snap together, slip it under the lock.

Same principal applies to the soffit.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy one of these at your local HD, and it helps. You use it where the two snap together, slip it under the lock.

Same principal applies to the soffit.

I have one of those,they come in really handy. Didn't no you took use it on soffit .

ttis

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks nayr setting up my test rig as we speak
How did you mount the cams for your test rig? Did you temporarily mount them to the soffit? I have a vinyl ventilated soffit and would like to try a few test locations, but don't want to use screws in the soffit each time.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right I have one we got at homedepot for 40.00 for 15ft
Yup I would be drilling that hole into the attic and pushing a fish line until you can find it then pull the wire back out. I prefer not to play around with the siding on my house unless it's the last resort.