Another car door checker

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No good deed goes unpunished. :rolleyes:

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The punk left a cigarette butt in the cup holder. The police ran a DNA test on it to snag the kid. I couldn't believe they'd waste resources on such an expensive test just to catch a petty theif.
They already had the kids DNA?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it was on the cigarette butt, they framed him. lol
Some places swab for DNA on any simple arrest anymore, trying to build a database for everybody. I've seen on shows a lot of cold cases solved by this.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yup. He'd already been convicted of another burglary charge, and was on probation. They knew who he was based on my video, but couldn't prove it was him. Once the DNA results came in (8 months later), the busted him. Was working at a local Walmart as a stocker. Guess there's a reason most places don't hire convicts...

Here's the article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/dna-on-cigarette-butt-links-pasco-man-to-car-burglary-deputies-say/1165422

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Vosmont - thank you again for a great addition to the VERA community. If it hadn't been for your plug in, I would have returned the bulb.

Is there any way for users to add to the pallet of animations? For example, strobing green, yellow, orange, etc - or having it alternate between various colors (like the current LPD)? I opened the lua animation file in an editor and see the scripting - but it's so far over my head, I know I'd crash computers within 5 miles if I attempted to change anything.

As I write this, my light just started pulsating blue since the mail carrier deposited my mail in my box at the street. I'd love to do the same with all colors to signify other events (like gate opening, doorbell ringing, motion detected in area XYZ, etc).

Hate to even ask given how grateful I am - but if one doesn't ask... one will never know...

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you have the wrong thread, but curious what you are talking about exactly :)

Vosmont - thank you again for a great addition to the VERA community. If it hadn't been for your plug in, I would have returned the bulb.

Is there any way for users to add to the pallet of animations? For example, strobing green, yellow, orange, etc - or having it alternate between various colors (like the current LPD)? I opened the lua animation file in an editor and see the scripting - but it's so far over my head, I know I'd crash computers within 5 miles if I attempted to change anything.

As I write this, my light just started pulsating blue since the mail carrier deposited my mail in my box at the street. I'd love to do the same with all colors to signify other events (like gate opening, doorbell ringing, motion detected in area XYZ, etc).

Hate to even ask given how grateful I am - but if one doesn't ask... one will never know...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Without turning this into a political debate (something which I do even when I try not to), one man's "good policing" is another man's police-state/nanny-state. I respect police, and I am glad there are people who feel the need to answer the call for help. But having a response time of <2 min with an armada large enough to defeat most smaller countries, with weapons on par with what the military uses, at some point I think it has gone too far. Both from a personal liberty and cost (funding) standpoint.

Some would be happy with a cop at every intersection, and in every home. I'm at the other end of the spectrum. If a lack of police caused such wide spread crime (i.e. murder every night), my protest would be to leave. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that, and I realize many (if not most) are unable to. In the interim, I would make sure that me and my family are trained an equipped to protect our selves as needed (cameras being just part of that arsenal).

Just as an example, watch this video in a NYC target. Apparently, a customer was asked to provide ID, and after refusing to do so, was taken down by police. I'm not picking sides on whether the guy was right or wrong - but rather by the police actions and their numbers... Take note how many cops show up, how quickly. How many aren't in uniform. Then realize that, at least in NYC, it seems every other person is a cop (agent for the government).

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There's absolutely no way the police response to this incident could be called "overpolicing" or indicative of a police/nanny state. You pay your taxes and if you need the service you expect it to be thorough and professional. If you don't want the service then don't phone. Either way, we all have to pay, so that the service is there for those that want it or need it, and don't have the capability to protect themselves or move away (which you shouldn't ever have to do).

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You're correct that I'm am (we are) paying for a service and we should expect those services to be rendered. My contention is that the spending priority of said property taxes are skewed when we have this many resources deployed for relatively minor incidents. I'm grateful that they caught the guy, and I don't want it to come across as me being hard on the cops. It's a government issue. We have teachers that have to pay for their supplies out of their own pockets and bake sales, but the police budget seems to be growing at a rate that is inconsistent with the need - in our area.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Watching you video, i have the same issue at night even in B/W with my driveway lights. People walking past and vehicles have ghosting. If I adjust from 1/30 to 1/60 it gets better but image gets darker.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just as an example, watch this video in a NYC target. Apparently, a customer was asked to provide ID, and after refusing to do so, was taken down by police.
The clip of the incident doesn't tell the whole story.
You may have missed the part where Alando Brissett's erratic behavior the day before alarmed the Target employees, his demanding a receipt that the store does not provide and subsequent refusal to leave the property after being asked repeatedly (trespass).
His flailing his arms (resisting arrest) at the officers trying to make the initial arrest is what led to the use of force.
Multiple officers attempting to subdue the suspect is the safe way to do it (4 were on the ground with the suspect).
Having back up to handle crowd control is even better.
This prevents further escalation by the lawless and ignorant with fewer people getting hurt.
Anyone who thinks subduing another human being is easy hasn't done much of it.

steve6690

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The clip of the incident doesn't tell the whole story.
You may have missed the part where Alando Brissett's erratic behavior the day before alarmed the Target employees, his demanding a receipt that the store does not provide and subsequent refusal to leave the property after being asked repeatedly (trespass).
His flailing his arms (resisting arrest) at the officers trying to make the initial arrest is what led to the use of force.
Multiple officers attempting to subdue the suspect is the safe way to do it (4 were on the ground with the suspect).
Having back up to handle crowd control is even better.
This prevents further escalation by the lawless and ignorant with fewer people getting hurt.
Anyone who thinks subduing another human being is easy hasn't done much of it.
What gets me is the morons who see four or five officers struggling to subdue a violent arrested person and shout that four onto one isn't fair, to which I reply "this isn't a bloody street fight". Same with the idiots who see male officers struggling with a drunken violent woman and start ranting about how "you should never lay your hands on a woman". :rolleyes: