Another home installation

SharpTJ1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully this is posted in an appropriate section...

So I want to put 5 cameras up outside and 2 or 3 inside my house. I am leaning toward hikvision, but I am a little confused on white box vs brown box vs amazon, alibaba, aliexpress, etc... are they not all the same camera?

Also, What I would like to do, if it works is this:

Run all PoE cameras to a 16 channel powered switch in a closet, then a single Cat6 cable back to the attic and down in my home office. That would connect to a 16 channel NVR, then the NVR connect to and my wireless router by Cat6. Does that sound like a correct setup?

Is there a way to connect a wireless camera to the same NVR used for the PoE cameras? I don't think I can run Cat6 to one of the inside area I need a camera.

Once I figure out if my planning is on the right track, I will look to specific camera/NVR/switch models.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Checkout https://diysecurityguy.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/tip-how-to-tell-if-my-hikvision-camera-is-us-chinese-or-international/

2. If you use an NVR, the advantage is having POE ports for each camera. So you should home-run each camera to the NVR and avoid the intermediate POE switch. (cost savings and less power use, critical for UPS backup). If you must use intermediate POE, I think it's OK, unless the NVR only has 10/100 ports, where GigE ports should be OK.

3. Connect it via wifi to the same network your NVR is on, the will find each other.

SharpTJ1

n3wb
Reaction score
If I skip the NVR and use something like Blue Iris and my desktop, would I just plug the Cat6 from the switch into my router? I am trying to avoid running 8 Cat6 down the wall in my office

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I skip the NVR and use something like Blue Iris and my desktop, would I just plug the Cat6 from the switch into my router? I am trying to avoid running 8 Cat6 down the wall in my office
You dont have to run the ethernet back to your office regardless you what you use as an nvr. The use of a poe switch is not only acceptable, but the smart thing to do. Not having to homerun the ethernet is one of the primary advantages of IP.
Yes, you would plug the switch into your router.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
1. Checkout https://diysecurityguy.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/tip-how-to-tell-if-my-hikvision-camera-is-us-chinese-or-international/

2. If you use an NVR, the advantage is having POE ports for each camera. So you should home-run each camera to the NVR and avoid the intermediate POE switch. (cost savings and less power use, critical for UPS backup). If you must use intermediate POE, I think it's OK, unless the NVR only has 10/100 ports, where GigE ports should be OK.

3. Connect it via wifi to the same network your NVR is on, the will find each other.
Glad someone wrote an article about this, instead of answering the same question every day.