Another Huisun MiniSuck PTZ v1 Dead

pfer10

n3wb
Reaction score
Have another one completely dead. No Ethernet port or movement. Both 12 volt and Poe dead. The bad thing is I got it about 6 months ago and only tested it out a few nights outside. Then I had it indoors powered up for a couple more weeks. Then I took power off of it until I got time to properly mount it outside. Went to use it tonight and it was dead when I tried to power it up. Total on time maybe 1 month.

Originally ordered from Monica way back when these were the rage on Dec 2015. 4-5 weeks of use and has sat off since. Total junk. It worked good when it worked but......now a $157 paper weight.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What? You didn't read a fine print these were disposable IP cams?

Seriously though, a lot of us have multiple of them, I purchased now 8 of them and have not had a single one die so far (except bricking via firmware update). Yes, the V1s seem to have higher failure rate which could be as a result of high temperature, but V2s have better [all metal] design. Have you tried contacting Monica to see if you can ship it back for repair?

pfer10

n3wb
Reaction score
Never got a reply from Monica of course. I went ahead and took the camera apart down to all basic parts. Noticed some crappy resin residue left over from placing caps on the motor drive board. Cleaned that and I powered up the main board with the power cable first. I was getting good voltages on there. Saw 13.2 volts across some caps and found some 3.3V across others so the chips seem to have power. Plugged into Ethernet and at least I got lights now. Started adding boards and it seems to stay on. I can see all ports now when I scan the IP address (80, 81, 443, 554, 3001, 8000, 8090). I tried to get to the web page and it behaved odd. I started a ping process from a linux machine and it looks like it is only staying on for 10 seconds then goes offline for about 20 seconds then comes back again for 10 and repeats. I was able to finally log into the guest account. (Can't remember the admin account right off hand since it has been 4-5 months since i have messed with it) Nothing looked right in the web page as there was no information in any of the fields (IP address etc). tinyCam can't find the camera either even though port 554 is active for about 10 seconds.

I don't see the Ethernet lights going out so I don't think the main power supply is going down but it looks like it is rebooting constantly. Still no movement on the motors. Maybe I'll get the scope out tomorrow and see if I can see any supplies resetting causing the processor to reboot. I did booger up one ribbon cable but I was able to get it pushed back in. I might take that back apart and see if some of the traces pulled up when I pushed it into the connector. If I had a guess I suspect the motor drive board to be the issue as they push power through some really small ribbon cable to the motor drive. Will have to investigate more to see if they push the power on multiple traces down to that board. Just seems pretty small for the drives which should be the biggest power draw.

Also as far as heat mine never saw high temps. It might be a plastic case but the face with the IR lenses is metal. The processor has heat sink material onto an aluminum plate and that screws to the metal cover that houses the IR lenses. Should get heat out of the processor no problem from what I see.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Never got a reply from Monica of course. I went ahead and took the camera apart down to all basic parts. Noticed some crappy resin residue left over from placing caps on the motor drive board. Cleaned that and I powered up the main board with the power cable first. I was getting good voltages on there. Saw 13.2 volts across some caps and found some 3.3V across others so the chips seem to have power. Plugged into Ethernet and at least I got lights now. Started adding boards and it seems to stay on. I can see all ports now when I scan the IP address (80, 81, 443, 554, 3001, 8000, 8090). I tried to get to the web page and it behaved odd. I started a ping process from a linux machine and it looks like it is only staying on for 10 seconds then goes offline for about 20 seconds then comes back again for 10 and repeats. I was able to finally log into the guest account. (Can't remember the admin account right off hand since it has been 4-5 months since i have messed with it) Nothing looked right in the web page as there was no information in any of the fields (IP address etc). tinyCam can't find the camera either even though port 554 is active for about 10 seconds.

I don't see the Ethernet lights going out so I don't think the main power supply is going down but it looks like it is rebooting constantly. Still no movement on the motors. Maybe I'll get the scope out tomorrow and see if I can see any supplies resetting causing the processor to reboot. I did booger up one ribbon cable but I was able to get it pushed back in. I might take that back apart and see if some of the traces pulled up when I pushed it into the connector. If I had a guess I suspect the motor drive board to be the issue as they push power through some really small ribbon cable to the motor drive. Will have to investigate more to see if they push the power on multiple traces down to that board. Just seems pretty small for the drives which should be the biggest power draw.

Also as far as heat mine never saw high temps. It might be a plastic case but the face with the IR lenses is metal. The processor has heat sink material onto an aluminum plate and that screws to the metal cover that houses the IR lenses. Should get heat out of the processor no problem from what I see.

I wondered if one of the wire is broken and barely touching at the break part allowing it to power up for a short time. Got a Ohmeter? Check the ohms on the wires.

Bill

pfer10

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a really small ribbon cable. There is a switch mode power supply on the motor drive board and the caps don't read anything on it. The control chip has 3.3 volts to it though.