Another Newb

upstech76

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
New guy here from the Memphis, TN area. I have no prior experience with cameras but used to work in the cable TV industry and 9 years maintaining a large computer network. So i'm pretty good with running cabling and terminating Cat5e! I am looking to install a couple cameras around my home. Usual places driveway, front door, back door, garage interior, and one inside my home office. Below is my plan and questions!

DVR will be a PC with a Dual Core Athlon 7750 2.7ghz w/4gb Ram. I have been playing with iSpy but think I am going to purchase BI once I get the cameras installed. Is this enough PC to do the job?

For cameras I am torn between the Hikvision 2142FWD-I 4MP dome and the 2342WD-I 4MP turret. Any advise on which will work best in my application is appreciated. The current plan is to get the 2.8mm version. Is Nelly's the best place to purchase?

The cameras will be installed at the right of the garage, overlooking the front door, and one overlooking the front yard from the left side of the house. For reference, the driveway is approximately 40' long and the RV/Camper is no longer stored at my home.

house.jpghouse2.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@upstech76 That pc is insufficient...you can buy a dell optiplex or hp elitedesk i5-4590 (haswell) for 300. Search optiplex or elitedesk in this forum.

beretverde

n3wb
Reaction score
Im new here as well and your system intrigues me. Thanks for sharing.