another noob

KevUKJag

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Kev from London, England.

Have been researching cctv for a while, which is how I ended up here, already read the cliff notes and wiki a few times, and multiple reviews and youtube vids.

I have a synology DS218+ with a 6TB WD red that isnt used at the moment and I hope to use as the base server with Synology SS, a TP-LINK T1500G-10PS for power, and I'm currently down to one of the following cams -

IPC-HDBW5231E-Z

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

but i cannot decide which starlight would be better, I have a low roof, about 10 feet, I'm worried the cams might get damaged,the area is fairly safe, but there was a burglary across the road recently. Not sure whether the anti vandal component outways the superior IR here.

I have both units in the Empire Technology Co., Ltd Aliexpress store, I would like to thank forumn member main contributors for the vast amount of accessible information, that is easy to find on this site.

Kev.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
When I made my choice between HDW & HDBW, I opted over higher burglar resistant over the "fancy looking": HDBW is more "hit"proof. But then again, you carry all the "disadvantages" of a dome with you. I'm not sure whether (or not) the Z is gone, but the ZE is for e-PoE (larger distances from the POE switch). But you need to have an ePOE port (eg the "new" NVRs with the E noted in their part number).

Hope it helps!
CC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I made my choice between HDW & HDBW, I opted over higher burglar resistant over the "fancy looking": HDBW is more "hit"proof. But then again, you carry all the "disadvantages" of a dome with you. I'm not sure whether (or not) the Z is gone, but the ZE is for e-PoE (larger distances from the POE switch). But you need to have an ePOE port (eg the "new" NVRs with the E noted in their part number).

Hope it helps!
CC
That's incorrect. Unless you specifically need the 800 meter distance, The epoe models are backwards compatible with any standard POE Ethernet ports.
Also, when properly mounted, the turret style cam is just as, if not more so "hit proof", than a dome, no dome to shatter.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Kev from London, England.

Have been researching cctv for a while, which is how I ended up here, already read the cliff notes and wiki a few times, and multiple reviews and youtube vids.

I have a synology DS218+ with a 6TB WD red that isnt used at the moment and I hope to use as the base server with Synology SS, a TP-LINK T1500G-10PS for power, and I'm currently down to one of the following cams -

IPC-HDBW5231E-Z

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

but i cannot decide which starlight would be better, I have a low roof, about 10 feet, I'm worried the cams might get damaged,the area is fairly safe, but there was a burglary across the road recently. Not sure whether the anti vandal component outways the superior IR here.

I have both units in the Empire Technology Co., Ltd Aliexpress store, I would like to thank forumn member main contributors for the vast amount of accessible information, that is easy to find on this site.

Kev.
Avoid domes outdoors, they degrade and get foggy from uv rays, they get a little dirty and you will have reflection problems, possibly reflection problems from other light in the vicinity even when clean.

This is still the king of the hill: Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE