Another, what hardware. Rack mount/Quick Sync/25 cameras on BI

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Needs to be rack mounted, ideally something from HP/Dell/Supermicro.

Requirement will be recording from 20 to 25 x Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE at full resolution and it will be likely set to always record - going into a manufacturing facility.

Price is no real barrier, performance is. So I guess an 10th Gen CPU with lots of cores/memory.

Any suggestions?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are willing to use sub streams or limit decoding (but don't use both on the same camera) then the computer specs won't be a big problem. Any 10th gen i5 desktop chip or better would be plenty. Or an equivalent server CPU.

If not, then expect frame rates to need to be limited to the ballpark of 10 to 15 FPS and go for an i7 or i9. Don't skimp on the cooling.

And if they want smoother video than 15 FPS, you're probably looking at needing a more powerful HEDT or server CPU and fast quad channel memory. I wouldn't do an HEDT build with RAM slower than 3600. Server platforms are typically more limited in terms of RAM speed and have to make up for it with more channels.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks bp2008, I'd imagine they would want about 20FPS just to be fluid. Definitily dont want to limit decoding but the sub stream im not sure about. Typically they will access the cameras with a web browser and the mobile device app. Where is the substream generally used? Given they want high end cameras, id imagine they want to see a high end image at all times.

No issues with a HEDT, I was just hoping to have it in a rack mount form factor for space reasons. Do you know if anything exists in that form factor with HEDT type CPUs

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The sub stream is used when viewing a group of cameras. So the more cameras you have, the less you can notice the sub stream's lower resolution being used there. At 20+ cams, there should be little to no apparent quality loss in a group view even when viewed on a 4K monitor.

Once you switch to viewing a single cam, its main stream loads. That can take up to a couple of seconds which can be annoying depending on how urgent your need to see better quality is.

A potentially bigger concern is that using sub streams yields slightly reduced stability simply by nature of Blue Iris having to depend on two streams per camera instead of just one.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fair enough, sounds like the fastest i9 or i10 desktop CPU I can get, with 3600+ ram (32GB I assume)

Might have to build something custom in a rack enclosure.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Plenty of rack-mountable options. I'm a big fan of supermicro enclosures. For your application, you'll probably not want someone to be able to come up and pop out a hard drive. But there are other styles. Micro ATX board with an i9-9900K processor. I put it together before substreams were a thing, but now, with substreams enabled, it runs in the single digit %.

Server Closet 1.jpg

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome, it will be in a server room so hot swap drives would be OK. Will look into SM units