Any benefit in adding a GPU to a Blue Iris PC?

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a BI setup at my parents place running on a HP Elitedesk 800 G4, i5-8500, 16GB RAM, and a couple of NVME SSD's. There are 6 cameras connected; 5 Dahua and 1 Reolink, and the CPU utilisation is fine, typically ranging 12-16%.

I have a GPU lying around and was wondering if there was any benefit adding it to the PC. The GPU is from another HP elitedesk (ie as a std option), with p/n 923800-002. Here is a link to the gpu:

Would adding a gpu like this provide any benefit at all, ie would any processing be off loaded to it? Also, as the BI pc is headless, there would be no monitor connected up to its outpus, so I'm not sure whether it would still be doing anything?

Thanks for your help in advance.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
AMD/Radeon cards aren't supported for the purposes of offloading processing for AI (CPAI), only Nvidia (CUDA) is supported, so it will be of very little benefit overall.
As far as headless goes, I am running one of these on my nearly identical spec computer (same CPU, etc), with good results:

I've read that having one of these tricks the machine into believing there is an actual monitor at all times (no startup/BIOS errors, etc..), and is beneficial in many ways. I actually never tested without it, so cannot comment on how it would run without that attached.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm running that same computer headless for over a yr now with BI. No dongle used, and it's fine.
It's a no on the GPU addition.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+2 in the camp of that GPU is not needed and would increase power consumption and provide no benefit to you.

Especially with the CPU at that %, no need to mess with what is working. Looking at all the various threads about CodeProject, it seems the biggest issues are with ones running the GPU versus the CPU version.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys, I will leave it alone.

BTW, I have one of those dongle things to, and it helps with the resolution when you remote in.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys, I will leave it alone.

BTW, I have one of those dongle things to, and it helps with the resolution when you remote in.
Thanks,I feel somewhat vindicated on that headless dongle: I'm quite sure there were some convincing arguments in favor of it, on one of the threads here (IPCamTalk forums) when I was researching my system build in late 2021/early 2022. I know I didn't just randomly decide it needed it out of nowhere, LOL.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is an important and often overlooked point IMHO, particularly with a machine that is powered on 24/7.
Fully agree, I'm pretty satisfied with a long term running average of 23 W on my B.I. computer, CPU usage is generally 3-5% (spikes much higher briefly during CPAI analysis). HP G3, i5-8500, no added video card. CPAI generally reports ~130 to 150ms analysis times, but B.I reports about double that, probably because I am always using two models (ipcam-combined and ipcam-dark).