Any comparisons between 2431 and 5442 (or 1/1.8 Colorvu)

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly how much better is it in low light? Its 2x the price but is it actually 2x better at night in color ?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is it actually 2x better at night in color ?
To get an idea of how a cam is likely to perform in low light, look for its minimum illumination lux rating on the spec sheet. The lower the number, the better it should perform.

The 2431TM-AS-S2 has a min illumination spec of 0.008 lux. The 5442TM-AS-LED is 0.002 lux. Big difference, IMO.

The size of the sensor has a lot to do with it. If the MP are the same, the bigger the sensor, the better it should do in low light. The 5442 sensor is 1/1.8”. The 2431 is 1/3” (smaller).

FWIW, the newer 4MP 1/1.8” sensor in the 5442s and ColorVu is pretty much top-shelf right now. Using the “good, better, best” system, neither brand uses this sensor in their “good” models (like the 2431). You have to step up to a “better” or “best” model to get it. IMO, Dahua has a lot of “better” models (like the 5442 series) that use this sensor. AFAIK, the one ColorVu model is the only “better” model they offer, you have to step up to their “best” models for more variety.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To get an idea of how a cam is likely to perform in low light, look for its minimum illumination lux rating on the spec sheet. The lower the number, the better it should perform.

The 2431TM-AS-S2 has a min illumination spec of 0.008 lux. The 5442TM-AS-LED is 0.002 lux. Big difference, IMO.

The size of the sensor has a lot to do with it. If the MP are the same, the bigger the sensor, the better it should do in low light. The 5442 sensor is 1/1.8”. The 2431 is 1/3” (smaller).

FWIW, the newer 4MP 1/1.8” sensor in the 5442s and ColorVu is pretty much top-shelf right now. Using the “good, better, best” system, neither brand uses this sensor in their “good” models (like the 2431). You have to step up to a “better” or “best” model to get it. IMO, Dahua has a lot of “better” models (like the 5442 series) that use this sensor. AFAIK, the one ColorVu model is the only “better” model they offer, you have to step up to their “best” models for more variety.
2347 colorvu says
0.0014 @ f1.0
5442 has different numbers
0.015@f1.6 1/30s
0.0016@f1.6 1/3s

What does this mean and how do we compare it?

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think a key decision factor for you will be whether you are OK with the ColorVu not being able to see infrared light, and therefore relying on visible light in the scene. It has its own onboard white-light floodlight so it can function in a zero-light environment in full color, or overcome a backlit situation, if that's what you need. You can also disable the onboard floodlights if your scene has enough foreground light.

I have a ColorVu at the head of a stairway where all the light sources are behind a person who comes up the stairs, so the ColorVu's onboard lights fix the backlighting problem really well. The f1.0 lens lets in extra light, but as f values go down, so does the depth of field, so I opened up the camera and changed the focus of the lens about a quarter-turn to get optimal focus on people at the head of the stairway.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Comparing lux ratings isn't always apples to apples and should be taken with a grain of salt but it should give you a rough idea.

Reaction score
I already addressed this for you in your post 2431 vs 2831. First budget general purpose cam. Also any layout tips. post #4.

Go see the post #2 in