Any Cord Cutters Here?

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am wondering how much longer we will see OTA programming.
I think it has a viable market for some time yet. It's not exactly "free" as it's funded by advertisements. Netflix by comparison has no advertisements.

Should be plenty of people willing to watch free (to them) TV programming. Up until recently, it was also the highest quality content one could get. Real HD programming instead of the more compressed junk cable and sat were delivering.

A couple years ago living in an apartment, cable TV was included. I think they offered the low res cable for free knowing you'd pay $10/mo to stop your eyes from bleeding. Not me, I'm too cheap.

Reaction score
I am going :offtopic:

OK---- I looked for this thread the other day--- So I remembered the thread name was "Cord Cutters"... something. I searched the whole forum for this thread and could not find it.... NO results for OTA or TIVO either.... MY OWN POSTS in this thread were not listed under my own account.... I even contacted @fenderman to see if there was a forum sql data loss thing happening, because I could not seem to find some other posts of mine in the laptop thread.
I closed that browser tab, then opened a new one and came in-- and my posts in the laptop thread were there. Still no Cable Cutters post listed for me-- until today... :idk::wtf:o_O

Hmmmm

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Never had cable. We had Dish until about 5 years ago when we finally were able to get internet. We then just had Netflix and prime. We watch zero sports, we don’t watch the Drive By Media, so we had no reason to have any local station.

We recently drop Netflix. We would drop Prime if it wasnt for everything my wife orders on Amazon.

We primarily just watch YouTube channels on stuff that interest’s us.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not exactly "free" as it's funded by advertisements.
There are so many commercials on some of the channels that I wouldn't be able to stand watching anything on them if I couldn't skip over. On some of the reruns they're cutting out part of the show to add more time for commercials.

Reaction score

This is where I learned about OTA digital antennae back when they were doing the big cutover from analog. Came to realize those 12"x12" square antenna in a window did not work in my area due to living in the sierra mountains. TV Fool really helped me direct & point my antenna at the best compass degree heading which showed what TV towers were located and the distance. Worked like a charm. I was one of the few who first purchased those big pro model antenna's that looked like it belong in the 1950's.
However, I guess the site is not much updated and could be out of date for alot of TV stations :( A pity.
Taking a look at that ChannelMaster site... I like it better. TV Fool had more science & engineering aspect to get the signal. channelmaster seems to do it all for you :)

Reaction score
I am going :offtopic:

OK---- I looked for this thread the other day--- So I remembered the thread name was "Cord Cutters"... something. I searched the whole forum for this thread and could not find it.... NO results for OTA or TIVO either.... MY OWN POSTS in this thread were not listed under my own account.... I even contacted @fenderman to see if there was a forum sql data loss thing happening, because I could not seem to find some other posts of mine in the laptop thread.
I closed that browser tab, then opened a new one and came in-- and my posts in the laptop thread were there. Still no Cable Cutters post listed for me-- until today... :idk::wtf:o_O

Hmmmm
I too experienced that bizarro-ness. I was reminded about this thread when I randomly checked e-mail and saw a reply notification, then I clicked the link and it was dead. Searched everywhere, no cord-cutter thread.

But if you check a newer thread titled "OTA Stuff" or similar, you can see what happened......for some whacked out reason, the OP just up-and-deleted the thread. But upon seeing the newer "OTA" thread, @fenderman dug around and re-posted it, and here it is, coming back to life.

In another forum I frequent for vintage VWs, you are wholly unable to delete entire threads like that, you can delete your own posts in your own thread, leaving only everybody else's replies, but you cannot delete the thread itself.

And curiously, lawnboy hasn't been around to explain why he/she did something so strange, but who cares anyway.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Lawnboy1 Heck, you don't even need a barbeque. Stuff will cook by microwave right in the backyard! :rofl:
I'm not the best at determining miles, but I'd say within a 15 mile radius there are about 8 of the tall towers, 2 smaller and older towers at the local tv stations, an ungodly amount of cell towers, old AT&T/BellSouth towers and Rail Road towers. So, yeah, I'd say we get our share of waves around here.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never had cable. We had Dish until about 5 years ago when we finally were able to get internet. We then just had Netflix and prime. We watch zero sports, we don’t watch the Drive By Media, so we had no reason to have any local station.

We recently drop Netflix. We would drop Prime if it wasnt for everything my wife orders on Amazon.

We primarily just watch YouTube channels on stuff that interest’s us.
I watch a ton of YouTube too. I have Disney, Prime and Netflix. Netflix is going away. I also have HULU, but that's offered with Spotify. I watch local news sometimes. I have HD HomeRun and an antenna outside. The good thing about HDHR is I can stream it on PLEX and watch local tv on my phone or anywhere. Even in another state.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not the best at determining miles, but I'd say within a 15 mile radius there are about 8 of the tall towers, 2 smaller and older towers at the local tv stations, an ungodly amount of cell towers, old AT&T/BellSouth towers and Rail Road towers. So, yeah, I'd say we get our share of waves around here.
I watch a ton of YouTube too. I have Disney, Prime and Netflix. Netflix is going away. I also have HULU, but that's offered with Spotify. I watch local news sometimes. I have HD HomeRun and an antenna outside. The good thing about HDHR is I can stream it on PLEX and watch local tv on my phone or anywhere. Even in another state. Here are a couple of screenshots of local tv on my phone.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The best estimate I can give is 40-50 miles to the nearest TV transmitter in Philly. That's why I ask. About the only thing we watch on "regular" TV is the local news for a local weather report and to see the latest murders, hit and runs and building collapses in the "City of Brotherly Love".

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The best estimate I can give is 40-50 miles to the nearest TV transmitter in Philly. That's why I ask. About the only thing we watch on "regular" TV is the local news for a local weather report and to see the latest murders, hit and runs and building collapses in the "City of Brotherly Love".
That's the main reason I stopped watching news. I tune for local weather. Here in Baton Rouge, it seems as though we're becoming the murder capital of the world! And let's not talk about infrastructure. Shoot, if a person drops a penny on I 10, traffic is backed up for miles! And a gazillion years later, our elected "officials" are still doing a study on how to fix the problem.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

There's a person with a YouTube channel who goes by the name Antenna Man. He has a ton of knowledge on installing antennas and also getting a host of channels.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a very similar setup. I have an OTA antenna, HD HomeRun & PLEX.

I have an antenna in Phoenix and can pickup the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts - BUT they are not broadcasting in 4K. The signal is only 1080 but it is in 60fps. Sounds good, but 60fps need a LOT more processing power and most of my playback devices struggle to play them back.
Sorry. I'm just now seeing your post. Anyway, I don't know if my area has gone to the new format yet. It should happen soon though. I watch tv through Plex when I'm on the move and want to catch the local news. At other times I view it through my Nvidia Shield Pro which will upscale the signal and give me a pretty good picture.