Any decent guides on the HIK VISION web interface for newcomers ?

thedoc46

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi new to this forum and well new to IP camera'a I guess.

So first post should start by me saying hi !! :) so here's a big hi !!

Yesterday I had two DS-2CD2132F-IS's delivered. I've done the absolute basics as in installed the 64gb SD card, configured the IP interface & gateway via the SAPD tool, and changed the password. I'm accessing them via the web but only while i'm on my local network.

But even for a tech, the web interface is somewhat confusing. A basics video going thru what essential settings are needed would be good. Can anyone give me any pointers in the right direction ?

I had a look on YouTube and most seem to want to show you the NVR software, or are in a foreign language.

I'm basically not going to use any NVR software.. I only want to be able to access my IP camera's remotely and view any recordings of photo's and / or motion to the 64GB SD card. There's a ton of settings that are not really clear on what they do. I need to cut thru all that and just get what i need setup.

Cutting a long story short, I want to setup, any movement record, and if i can have it take a photo... Also overwrite when the SD card is full and be able to view these recordings from outside my network. I've kept all my port setup standard for the time being, until I'm more comfortable with the web interface. Also which iOS app should i be downloading?

Or do people recommend something completely different from the HIKVISION software to configure these? As i said, i'm new to IP cameras.

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't really give you a guide on how to use the web interface. All I can do is suggest you play around with it. You can always reset to factory defaults if you screw it up too badly.

Just do not under any circumstances attempt to update the firmware on your cams, since they are almost certainly Chinese region, hacked to be English, and updating the firmware will break them.

thedoc46

n3wb
Reaction score
Good tip... Yes purchased from Amazon fulfillment and shipped directly from China.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi new to this forum and well new to IP camera'a I guess.

So first post should start by me saying hi !! :) so here's a big hi !!

Yesterday I had two DS-2CD2132F-IS's delivered. I've done the absolute basics as in installed the 64gb SD card, configured the IP interface & gateway via the SAPD tool, and changed the password. I'm accessing them via the web but only while i'm on my local network.

But even for a tech, the web interface is somewhat confusing. A basics video going thru what essential settings are needed would be good. Can anyone give me any pointers in the right direction ?

I had a look on YouTube and most seem to want to show you the NVR software, or are in a foreign language.

I'm basically not going to use any NVR software.. I only want to be able to access my IP camera's remotely and view any recordings of photo's and / or motion to the 64GB SD card. There's a ton of settings that are not really clear on what they do. I need to cut thru all that and just get what i need setup.

Cutting a long story short, I want to setup, any movement record, and if i can have it take a photo... Also overwrite when the SD card is full and be able to view these recordings from outside my network. I've kept all my port setup standard for the time being, until I'm more comfortable with the web interface. Also which iOS app should i be downloading?

Or do people recommend something completely different from the HIKVISION software to configure these? As i said, i'm new to IP cameras.

Thanks in advance.
First let me say welcome to the forums & congratulations on your new cams:cool: Here are a few videos that may help you get started. I know there are others but I need time to dig them up for you
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/customer-service/video-guides/hikvision-cameras

Also here is another great resorce http://www.networkcameracritic.com/ On the right hand side of the page click Hikvision and you will see Carl reviewed this camera twice, Once on Nov 5-2013 and also the newer inproved DS-2CD2132F-IS on March 3rd 2015. I am sorry to say Carl is no longer with us because he passed away this year but the family is keeping his site alive in his name.
http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2617 He touched many hearts and was a great value to the community. Rest in peace Carl.

As for viewing the footage on a smart phone or tablet many use "IP CAM VIEWER" including myself, Its a great product and constantly updated by Robert the developer
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ip-cam-viewer-pro/id402656416?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.WebCamViewerPaid&hl=en

If you want to view the footage from a computer you can just use a web browser. If I find other helpful links I will update this thread.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

thedoc46

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all, yes, i found my way to networkcameracritic and even though i'm new to the community, i was sad to read that Carl had passed. RIP..... Thanks to his review, i have everything up and running... Not figured out the remote access yet, but will get to that next.

Opening up ports and giving access to my network is something i'm a little hesitant to do. Just need to make sure i'm doing it correctly and making it as secure as possible. One thing i should mention is that I have to keep uPnP open on my cable modem/router, (i have the all in one Comcast phone adapter wifi cable modem, arris one) as my children are gamers and if i closed that down, they'd cry me a river. Is there a simple easy way to get to these camera's via the mac and uPnP, without all the port forwarding ? I do not plan on running a dedicated NVR. Just the installed 64GB SD cards will suffice for me.

Thanks for all the replies and pointers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not trust UPNP and disable it in my router. It does not affect my gaming but I don't tend to play peer-to-peer hosted games so I don't ever need to be the server host.

Port forwarding is fairly simple if the router's interface is not garbage, and if you forward the ports yourself then at least you know what the port numbers are and you know they won't change.

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do not trust UPNP and disable it in my router. It does not affect my gaming but I don't tend to play peer-to-peer hosted games so I don't ever need to be the server host.

Port forwarding is fairly simple if the router's interface is not garbage, and if you forward the ports yourself then at least you know what the port numbers are and you know they won't change.
Agreed, This is best practice. UPnP is a big security risk. There are reasons that commercial grade routers don't support UPnP and that reason is its a security risk. Everything internet has port numbers and hence you lookup the port numbers that you need open and forward those ports yourself, you DONT allow UPnP to modify/open ports for you because now you have lost control of your network and may as well not even have a firewall in place at all. You say you children are gamer so you need UPnP open at the gateway, No you don't I have 5 gaming consoles in the house and all you have to do is google the port numbers that need to be open for the gaming consoles they are using and forward those ports. Sorry for the rant but do yourself a favor and close that big security hole at the router and start forwarding ports yourself, Yes its more work but if will make your network much safer. Here is a little read for you that may help you understand and reinforce what bp2008 and myself are saying this.
http://www.howtogeek.com/122487/htg-explains-is-upnp-a-security-risk/

thedoc46

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks, what are your opinions on EZVIZ Cloud P2P ? is this free or does it require a monthly subscription ?