Any difference in resolution between NVR with built in Poe or using a seperate Poe?

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed a system with a Hikvision NVR with built in Poe. I'm going to install a second system at a vacation home and it really would work better wiring wise to seperate the Poe and NVR. Is there any reduction in resolution going this way. Any tips I need to know?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Any difference in resolution between NVR with built in Poe or using a seperate Po

fundamentally they are the same, the built in PoE is actually a PoE switch just combined.

practically there are some differences, built in puts it on its own network.. this can be desired for security purposes, or a pain in the ass.. external means you can access the cameras directly if needed, and run other non-camera PoE devices such as WiFi Access points, Security Panels, IR Lighting, and Phones.. its also easier to hide the NVR when the switch is in one place and the NVR is in another.. if you trace all the wires you just find the switch and a bunch of wires.. which one leads back to the NVR?

If you want to keep it simple, built in PoE is the way to go.. its basically plug-n-play.. if you want an advanced configuration then external PoE would be the way to go.

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Any difference in resolution between NVR with built in Poe or using a seperate Po

It's not going to be hooked to a router. No internet service. So if I create a network and manually add each camera it would be as good quality as a plug and play?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

for that I would just use built in PoE; you wont have any need for external unless your goal is to hide the NVR.. in that case, w/out a router.. you will have to manually define the network addresses.. ie setup NVR as 192.168.100.1, and the cameras as 11,12,13,14 or something.. no gateway, no dns.. manually set the time on the NVR and perhaps throw a fresh cr3232 battery inside it as those ones that come from china dont seem to last very long.. that helps it keep time w/power is out.. the time may drift, so any time your at your cabin double check if you need to roll it back/forward a few mins..

if you really want accurate time then you'll need to put on your adventure hat; You can take a Raspberry Pi, hook a cheap USB GPS Receiver up to it and use that as a time-source for your own local NTP Server.. then you can always trust your timestamps as the'll be more accurate than actual internet time since your using an atomic radio source.

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I really appreciate the advice. I do search a lot but sometimes I can't get the exact answer I want.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

No problem, Ive never ran a NVR w/out a network time source so im not so sure how well they keep time all by them selves.. that's kinda important because LEO dont like it much when they cant trust the timestamp.. its not as good of evidence if the time was off.. and if you forget to check it after a couple years it could be days or weeks off.. keeping accurate time is harder than you'd think... so pay attention to how well it does, if its drifting hard it might require some extra effort.

If your up to it, here is some more info on using satellites for keeping network time on an isolate location like this:
I have one, its a fun lil project.. and im not even off the grid, but its nice because my local timeserver runs for days off a tiny lil cell phone battery.. so after an extended outage can bootup and get correct time well before the cable modem is done doing its thing and getting the internet back up.. i need it w/all my automation crap, bad time and things go pear shaped.