Any experiences with the NVR4216-4K

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
3.210.0002.0, Build Date: 09-28-2015
Yep same one. I sent a email just because to see if there is anything newer. Only thing I'm not really liking thus far is the fact that you can only use the Ptz fuctions in single full screen mode on the NVR. Some others I have used allow you to use the Ptz fuctions in a multi window view option. Seems to be working well with a mix of different brand cameras. I have HIK, Hunisun, and a 4mp big black face Dahua PTZ hooked up for now without any drop outs.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use SmartPSS mostly for PTZ control and that works fine... sometimes too well, an errant mis-click and I move a camera ;)

I had one slight issue so far, my LPR camera (4MP Dahua) was set for MJPEG and max-bitrate and fps it was pushing 38Mbit (4MB/s) just for that single camera.. was causing some dropouts in recordings, even though I was not recording that stream.. just handling that massive of an individual stream was too much.

I added the LPR camera's 720p substream as a custom camera, specifying just the feed I wanted recorded so it never see's the main feed and all is well again.

I dont expect many people will encounter that issue, its an edge case running a modern UHD camera in a legacy mjpeg format.. only people whom do that have to for some 3rd party software integration (openalpr)

angelojoanos

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use SmartPSS mostly for PTZ control and that works fine... sometimes too well, an errant mis-click and I move a camera ;)

I had one slight issue so far, my LPR camera (4MP Dahua) was set for MJPEG and max-bitrate and fps it was pushing 38Mbit (4MB/s) just for that single camera.. was causing some dropouts in recordings, even though I was not recording that stream.. just handling that massive of an individual stream was too much.

I added the LPR camera's 720p substream as a custom camera, specifying just the feed I wanted recorded so it never see's the main feed and all is well again.

(openalpr)
I also use SmartPSS on occasion when setting by my imac. My NVR is hooked up via HDMI on a 55" 4k TV and its just 2 much fun to look around the street at 30x sometime. I only use the camera webUI for the camera settings and to set the PTZ presets, etc. Glad to hear you haven't had many problems, I don't have much need for LPR and the moment. However I would like to add some input/outputs. Trying to decided if I want to use a PIR or another Dahua camera with tripwire.....So many options! Its a great NVR for the price point.

I dont expect many people will encounter that issue, its an edge case running a modern UHD camera in a legacy mjpeg format.. only people whom do that have to for some 3rd party software integration

onetech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So these have came down to a cost that is tempting me to finally go for it ($250 shipped).. Im adding and upgrading some cameras and looking to double my recording space, but my current FTP NVR only has 1 eSata port and I am not horribly keen on an external sata enclosure w/an expander (they are not cheap).. I cant shove any more disks into my NAS so its off the table also.

I guess my main concerns are:
  1. Is the new 4K WebUI any better than the previous NVR2416? I read many complaints that it was slow and clunky compared to the camera's WebUI.. Anyone know if it works with OSX/Sarafi?
  2. SmartPSS, ive never hooked a dahua NVR up to it.. The software runs great on OSX, but it wont play back video stored on my cameras.. Can I use it play back recordings off the NVR if the WebUI is still painful to use?

Cheers,
-R
Hello,
do you know if 3.210.0002.0, Build Date: 17-05-2017 is last version for DH-NVR4216-4KS2 ?
Thank you in advance!

onetech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My version not have POE, it is the same firmware?
Thank you!