Any good back-end server software for storing recordings from cameras

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any good back-end server software that runs on Windows to store recordings using rtsp but does not take up a lot of CPU resources? I don't need playback, motions etc.

I have a media server where all my recordings from DirectTV, Bluerays, DVD etc get stored on and I use media players at TV to play back the contents from that media server. I also have recordings from my existing security cameras FTP to that media server as well too.

My problem is the new camera I purchased does not have FTP or NAS or any features that would send recording to a network storage however it claim to support rtsp so I am wondering if there software out there which could run in the background storing rtsp stream from security camera onto the harddrive.

I have not read up much about the Blue Iris but can it be run bare bone and in the background without any GUI or is it a full blown NVR software that uses lots of CPU resources?

Thank you for any feedbacks!

Bill

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris is a full featured NVR software, but if you enable direct-to-disk recording and just use continuous recording mode it should use very little in the way of resources.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
VLC will dump a RSTP to file without displaying if your wanting to keep it simple and free, but you'd want to wrap it in a script so it would restart the feed if it went down.
Thank you, I will have to look into VLC then. Do you know if I can run more than one instant of VLC on same system since I have more than one cam?

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah it'll run multiple instances, you'll also want your script to restart the feed every hour or so and output to another file so you dont have mega sized files.

its got a bunch of command line options, perhaps batch, powershell, or visualbasic can get you what you want with a few lines of code.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah it'll run multiple instances, you'll also want your script to restart the feed every hour or so and output to another file so you dont have mega sized files.

its got a bunch of command line options, perhaps batch, powershell, or visualbasic can get you what you want with a few lines of code.
Thank for the feedback, I am going to test Blue Iris see if it can run completely headless with little resource since it would be easier to add cameras and configure it rather than writing script for each camera and testing to make sure all works.

I am sure VLC will be using the most least resource than Blue Iris but more work to set it up.

What about i-Spy? Can it run headless too?

Thank you

Bill