Any higher resolution replacement for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Howdy,

I came to this forum for help a while back when I decide to put some cameras around the house.
After lots of discussion and tons of help from the good people of this community I was ready to get started so I went ahead and bought the following items (knowing I would need more cameras in the future):
  • 2 Dahua cameras IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • 1 Dahua camera IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
  • 2 Dahua PFB203W Wall mount.
  • 1 Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 4K 16CH (with 4TB Seagate Purple)
After I installed one IPC-HDW5231R-Z in the driveway I had to postpone the project due to some unexpected events so all the stuff went to my closet.

Now that I'm ready to get back I'm looking around and trying to decide whether I should upgrade some of these items even though mos of it is brand new.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dahua NVR and use Nx Witness (software) installed on a Intel Nuc instead. It is a lot more user friendly and as a software engineer I can leverage its API for some really cool integrations.

That brings me to the cameras.

Doesn't 2MP sounds like a low resolution for today's standards when you can buy 8MP cameras for $200?
Is there a camera that can provide me the low light performance of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z at a higher resolution? Specially from Hikvision since they play well with Nx Witness.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy,

I came to this forum for help a while back when I decide to put some cameras around the house.
After lots of discussion and tons of help from the good people of this community I was ready to get started so I went ahead and bought the following items (knowing I would need more cameras in the future):
  • 2 Dahua cameras IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • 1 Dahua camera IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
  • 2 Dahua PFB203W Wall mount.
  • 1 Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 4K 16CH (with 4TB Seagate Purple)
After I installed one IPC-HDW5231R-Z in the driveway I had to postpone the project due to some unexpected events so all the stuff went to my closet.

Now that I'm ready to get back I'm looking around and trying to decide whether I should upgrade some of these items even though mos of it is brand new.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dahua NVR and use Nx Witness (software) installed on a Intel Nuc instead. It is a lot more user friendly and as a software engineer I can leverage its API for some really cool integrations.

That brings me to the cameras.

Doesn't 2MP sounds like a low resolution for today's standards when you can buy 8MP cameras for $200?
Is there a camera that can provide me the low light performance of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z at a higher resolution? Specially from Hikvision since they play well with Nx Witness.
No. If after dark matters, stick with the 2mp starlights.

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh man... definitely not what I want to hear but what can we do.
Thanks a lot.

czrabode

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this from my other hobby, still photography. But the higher the resolution of a sensor, the poorer the low light performance. The 2MP Starlight cameras strike a good balance between day and night performance.

I have mostly 2MP cameras but I may install a couple of 8mp cameras for better resolution during the day. But these will be redundant and the fields are already covered the 2MP cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The two cameras approach sounds like a good idea.

It doesn't need to be completely redundant thought. I'm thinking I could have the 2MP starlight more closed into the door areas (front and back) so it can get the person's face if they get to close to an entrance during the night, while as you mentioned, an 8MP could give me a more wide coverage of the whole front end back.

I'm just thinking about the IR.
If I position the 2MP lower and closer to the doors the IR might washes out the person's face for the same reason: it will be too close.