Any Inexpensive USB based security cameras (similar to webcam) that are noteworthy?

zortanos

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to setup two cameras in a small room, it measures about 12ft by 9ft, the room has a door on each end. so I had planned to place 1 camera at each end of the room giving an overview of the room.

My idea was to hookup a couple USB cameras to a linux server toward the middle of the room running some capture software.

I found some cameras on ebay that look to support 1080p and have night vision IR leds (for when lights are off in the room at night) and for $47 that is very affordable, but I want images that are clear enough to work with.

I would think that for the size of the room a 1080p camera should be fine, such as this one: 1080P 30fps/60fps/120fps Night Vision USB Webcam Camera for incoor cctv security | eBay

I am hoping to get some feedback from some people that might have experience with usb cameras.

spending $150+ per camera is more than I can afford right now, my idea was to use inexpensive but useable for now, and upgrade to something better later once we are actually generating some income. (this is for our new bussiness office.)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @zortanos

If you look you can find some dahua oem or hikvision oem cameras which are sold at deal prices ( often this can mean requires more work to get to work well.. )

For example Q-see has a 4 pack of these for <$100
4 PACK 1080P SMART HOME WI-FI OUTDOOR BEACON CAMERAS - (QCW2MPSL-4)

According to their specs, this should be ONVIF compatible... ( do read reviews on them.. ) - note, their spec sheet however does not state they are ONVIF ( ) compatible. ( I'd chat with Q-see and check reviewers and see if they really are ONVIF compatible... )

Also, Amcrest has some decent IP PoE cameras which are <$100 each.. Amazon Prime day coming up so you could see some deals there.

B&H iirc sometimes also has some Dahua OEM deals..

Andy of course is our go to guy here..

zortanos

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Way too much trouble and clunky. Lots of inexpensive IP cams WiFi and/or wired with better function and features. Plug them in, do some minimal setup, done in 15 minutes.