Any long range guys?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

I’ll be honest, I’m a 200 yds and in with a red dot and 3x magnifier kinda guy, but as I get older I may try my hand at long range..

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
With where I live, I only have anything sighted in to 100yds. Honestly, there'd be no place to point in my neck of the woods further than about 60.

Now, with a bow... we have a downward sloping hill behind my house where we set up a buck for target practice. It's about 80yds from where we are standing and we can only see the rack as the rest of it is below the ground from where we are. You have to see the kill zone in your mind's eye. We always have fun with that and have only lost 2 shafts in many years of shooting. Different strokes, eh? :p

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Fun times, At a training class up at the Sig Academy was shooting the plate racks with a young kid who the Instructor said was going to be one of the best someday. He went on just a few short years later to become a Distinguished Master - Mason Lane. (He’s still a young kid ;)

He could clean the rack and holster before I dropped the last plate!

Reaction score
I've shot out to 1000 yards. Attended an NRA Outdoors Long Range School in 2016. Attached is a presentation I made on that school. The NRA no longer runs it. It is now offered by the same people that ran it for the NRA but it is now called Outdoor Solutions. They offer several classes around the country.

The club I belong to here in Houston has several ranges, including 25/50 yards, 100 yards, 200/300 yards, and a 400-1000 yard range. But to shoot the 400-1000 yard range you need to be qualified. I keep missing the qualifiers. But I regularly shoot at the 300 yard range with my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor suppressed.
DSC_2070.JPG

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Great pics!

Man I’m gonna have to try it. Any suggestions on a good beginner rifle/caliber and glass? Will $2000 get me started?

Our range has out to 600, another I belong to has 1000. I think you have to qualify at 300 and again at 600? But can’t be recall...

Reaction score
Man I’m gonna have to try it. Any suggestions on a good beginner rifle/caliber and glass? Will $2000 get me started?
It depends on just how much you plan on getting involved. I really like the books and videos by Ryan Cleckner. Here is a good video on starting out.

Intro to Long Range Shooting w/ Ryan Cleckner (part 1) - YouTube

When I bought my RPR in 2016 it was $1300. I bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 for $950 and Vortex PMR-30-145 rings were another $129. The Silencerco Omega 300 suppressor was another $79 plus the $200 tax stamp.

The Harris bipod and it's mounts cost about $220 and is really not needed since I seem to use a Caldwell sand rest most of the time anyway. For my birthday a week ago, my wife bought me a Vortex spotting scope.

There are now many other precision rifles out there and any more scopes. I have talked to a few folks at my club that love their Tikka rifles.

Most of the competitive guys are using custom builds off a Remington 700.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't shoot competitive, but shoot a few hundred yards fairly regularly, and used to shoot 600 yards at the Sportsmans club I was a member at.

@samplenhold 's suggestion of Tikka is spot on imo. They are very accurate out of the box without much if any work. I have a Sako in 7mm rem mag, which is the brother to Tikka, that I'm very happy with. I think I've got about 3k into it with the original cost, adjustable stock, blueprinting, scope, etc.

Quality glass is the big thing when you start going long.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The only thing Im seeing is junk russian steel case stuff and some off brands Ive never heard of in 9mm

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Haha, it always makes me laugh when my wife shows me a segment on the news where the "wacko" guy is arrested and had X amount of guns and over 1000 rounds of or so of ammo. Before the boating accident where I lost all of mine, my collection of guns normally put these "wackos" collections to shame and I couldn't even tell you of a time that I had less than a few thousand rounds of various calibers on hand... :p

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do some longrange shooting and hunting !

Here is some inspiration for simple solutions.
A friend have some problems to see the holes in the paper at 300m so I put together a uglylooking solution.
The idea was to be simple to operate, waterproof, no aligning at the target site (PTZ) and be able to use a simple tablet at the shooting site.
Main goal is to be very robust for non technical older people to operate and Equipment should survive loading and unloading in the trunk

A Dahua SD29204-TN, POE injector, two ASUS routers in AI-Mesh (as a repeater) and some plastic canisters.

Brgds TheSwede

300m-cam.png

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do some longrange shooting and hunting !

Here is some inspiration for simple solutions.
A friend have some problems to see the holes in the paper at 300m so I put together a uglylooking solution.
The idea was to be simple to operate, waterproof, no aligning at the target site (PTZ) and be able to use a simple tablet at the shooting site.
Main goal is to be very robust for non technical older people to operate and Equipment should survive loading and unloading in the trunk

A Dahua SD29204-TN, POE injector, two ASUS routers in AI-Mesh (as a repeater) and some plastic canisters.

Brgds TheSwede

View attachment 79395
What powers these units?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha, it always makes me laugh when my wife shows me a segment on the news where the "wacko" guy is arrested and had X amount of guns and over 1000 rounds of or so of ammo.
Yeah, my small collection of mostly vintage single-shot target rifles would be described as an "arsenal." lol

The cans of 5.56 would need to have the bomb squad called in.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So for say 300-600, what caliber should one consider? I'm seeing a lot of Tikka's for sale on Gunbroker..

Reaction score
So for say 300-600, what caliber should one consider? I'm seeing a lot of Tikka's for sale on Gunbroker..
I am partial to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Others really like the 338 Lapua Mag. But really, talk to 10 different long range shooters and you will get 10 different answers. If you are only going to 600, then get a caliber that is abundant and cheep. The 308 Win is a common, quality bullet also.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
^^ this. Consider ammo costs too. Big rounds like 338 or 300 win mag are great, but expensive ,and are kind of a waste if you are hitting paper or steel instead of meat. 308 is fantastic at those ranges. Even my AR10 was pretty damn good when I shot it 600.