any one use Intel nuc with Blue Iris?

kipster7

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using 4 Hiksvision Cameras with Synology drive but was think of adding few more cameras and switching to Blue Iris with a intel nuc. But don't see anytone using a nuc for blue iris would I be better off use hikvision NVR?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using 4 Hiksvision Cameras with Synology drive but was think of adding few more cameras and switching to Blue Iris with a intel nuc. But don't see anytone using a nuc for blue iris would I be better off use hikvision NVR?
you couuuuuuuld I guess. But the cost of a used, off lease desktop that came from some Dr's office with the same processor, more memory and a hard drive would be way cheaper. Honestly with so many good used full systems available, I don't see the purpose of a NUC other than the portability to use at a trade show. If its a system that'll never move, then I'd just go used for 1/2 the price.

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with kipster. The price tag of NUC's (used and new) are exuberant as compared to PC's. I had this decision thought process when I wanted to move away from my i7-4770 CPU based Dell optiplex Mid-Sized tower. Not sure why NUC's are so spendy since they take up less material to manufacture. But the USFF I selected was $200-$400 cheaper than equivalent hardware spec'd NUC. I also feared the CPU heat buildup since IP camera and video compression really hogs up the CPU utilization in a NUC. I believe, you will find additional posts here about the pro's / con's. Most, seem to lead towards the 'not so great of idea'.
When I first jumped into the camera arena last year, I too was about to pull trigger on a NVR. Luckily, I opted for Blue Iris on a PC. More options, control, security, etc. Of course that means more learning, more headaches, more configurations, etc. Ying/Yang.

Reaction score
Then I would give it a shot. You are offloading your recordings and alerts to your network storage already. Can nuc's use m.2 sad? Would really need something for a local database and same day alerts and recordings

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Then I would give it a shot. You are offloading your recordings and alerts to your network storage already. Can nuc's use m.2 sad? Would really need something for a local database and same day alerts and recordings
At the risk of flaming up the crowd, there was a time where I had 100% of the recordings going onto my NAS and BI didn't seem to have a problem with it. I had my OS on the internal HDD but that was it. Really I think I could have used a usb stick as the hdd and it would have been fine.

Anyways, you can run BI with everything going onto the NAS. It just puts a lot of traffic onto your network & switches but if you've got the bandwidth......it wouldnt be a problem

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As with any PC, it all depends on the CPU in the NUC.

Reaction score
At the risk of flaming up the crowd, there was a time where I had 100% of the recordings going onto my NAS and BI didn't seem to have a problem with it. I had my OS on the internal HDD but that was it. Really I think I could have used a usb stick as the hdd and it would have been fine.

Anyways, you can run BI with everything going onto the NAS. It just puts a lot of traffic onto your network & switches but if you've got the bandwidth......it wouldnt be a problem
If your NAS and BI servers are attached to the same (decent quality) network switch, the traffic shouldn't be running everywhere else, anyway.

Reaction score
If you do proceed with this please let us know the results after a couple days. I would bet your CPU would heat up pretty badly because of the CPU utilization