Any practical way to backup 80TB of NVR data remotely?

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have a Hikvision DS-96064NI-I16 NVR with 10 x 8TB drives, and about 35 cameras. We need to retain at least 60 days of data. NVR says IP camera connection is 208 Mbps.

We need to find a way to back up the data in the event the NVR is stolen or destroyed. We're also limited due to our location to 50MBPS internet speed. I think our only option to back it up in real-time is to back up to a local storage device on-site but thought I'd throw the question out here since I'm not very knowledgeable in data storage systems.

Another question I have is how can the data be retrieved if the original NVR is no longer available? I was told once by Hikvision support that if they had to replace the motherboard on our NVR we would need to reformat our drives and lose the data before the new motherboard could use the drives. That seemed odd and a poor solution.

So.....

1) Is there a practical way to back up our data on the cloud in real-time?

2) Is there an issue with reading the data even if we had a mirror copy of the 10 drives if the original NVR is destroyed.?

3) Rather can have the 10 drives in the NVR, could we place them in some storage device in a more secure location on-site where if the NVR is stolen the drives are safe? If so, what hardware would you recommend for the storage unit?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Considered a second redundant NVR at a different location on site? It records all your feeds from all of your cameras just like the primary so you have a copy of everything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have a Hikvision DS-96064NI-I16 NVR with 10 x 8TB drives, and about 35 cameras. We need to retain at least 60 days of data. NVR says IP camera connection is 208 Mbps.

We need to find a way to back up the data in the event the NVR is stolen or destroyed. We're also limited due to our location to 50MBPS internet speed. I think our only option to back it up in real-time is to back up to a local storage device on-site but thought I'd throw the question out here since I'm not very knowledgeable in data storage systems.

Another question I have is how can the data be retrieved if the original NVR is no longer available? I was told once by Hikvision support that if they had to replace the motherboard on our NVR we would need to reformat our drives and lose the data before the new motherboard could use the drives. That seemed odd and a poor solution.

So.....

1) Is there a practical way to back up our data on the cloud in real-time?

2) Is there an issue with reading the data even if we had a mirror copy of the 10 drives if the original NVR is destroyed.?

3) Rather can have the 10 drives in the NVR, could we place them in some storage device in a more secure location on-site where if the NVR is stolen the drives are safe? If so, what hardware would you recommend for the storage unit?
Hi @Alan2000

As I am not a Hikvision expert I can only give advice on what I have learned so far ( hopefully those who have more info will chime in )

1) Cloud backups of streaming video is possible, but typically not practical cost wise.

2) You'll need to pull in your IT talent to check and test for recovery options.
( test, not assume .. )

3) Perhaps a NAS can act as a data store for your videos.

4) Perhaps a larger enterprise level NVR system is the way to go if those are your requirements. ( be prepared to pay more )

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Storage of 80TB to the cloud is going to be brutally expensive not to mention transfer charges to the cloud. Figure around $2000+/month via Amazon S3 storage. With that much storage required you really have to stay local. Is the only problem the worry of the NVR being stolen? Because if so, then relocate the NVR to a more secure location. The network room should be under lock and key. This seems like the easiest solution.

Protecting against natural disaster/fire is much harder of course which would necessitate the need of a secondary location. Ideally you would just rsync or something similar the video files from the NVR to the secondary location. The problem is you have a camera vendor NVR which has limited functionality.

You could rebuild your camera storage solution with a off the shelf Synology NAS as the storage appliance. Then get another duplicate NAS and have the first replicate to the second. You could do that on-site at two different areas which gives protection from theft.

What RAID level do you have deployed in this NVR? Please don't say its RAID 5!

SushiMamma

n3wb
Reaction score
You are going to be paying thousands for actual cloud storage.
You should use storage at a secondary site you own, or see about colocation.
You are going to want to hire an IT consultant or firm, a good one if you plan to make this really work effectively.
Hikivision NVR probably isn't going to cut it.
Replication-wise, for that amount of data and especially with your link speed, something like rsync would take hours just to compare the data for a sync, even if there's not much new data.
I would look into something like a ZFS file system, which handles replication in a more intelligent way. You could check out FreeNAS replication.

Still, your link speed is a major challenge. I would definitely look into secondary storage at the same site, or try something creative like a fiber link to a nearby building you own. Good luck.