Any reason to go BI4 to 5?

billtachmr

n3wb
Reaction score
Been using BI4 for years with no issues and for me personally i don't see anything in BI5 to make me switch. I'm not bothered about the new remote feature and i'm guessing it uses the same ios app?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like the new design and I like the idea that it receives updated regularly.

It also has LPR built in and I am sure more features will be added. It is worth having in my opinion as more updates are released.

billtachmr

n3wb
Reaction score
I like the new design and I like the idea that it receives updated regularly.

It also has LPR built in and I am sure more features will be added. It is worth having in my opinion as more updates are released.
What is LPR? Have the major bugs been worked out?

billtachmr

n3wb
Reaction score
I live to far off the road to use LPR maybe if i lived right in town it would be of use.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I live to far off the road to use LPR maybe if i lived right in town it would be of use.
Yup. Just examples of BI5. I think personally it is just better to have updated software. BI4 is not going to update ever again.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Is upgrading to 5 from 4 now fully automatic, or does it still require registry editing and the like? I have been holding off making the jump until either the upgrade process is bug-free, or I have a lot of free time to devote to the chore.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is upgrading to 5 from 4 now fully automatic, or does it still require registry editing and the like? I have been holding off making the jump until either the upgrade process is bug-free, or I have a lot of free time to devote to the chore.
I upgraded from 4 to 5 yesterday. It took 10 minutes and when it was done this floated through my mind...

"...well...that was easy..."

Start here...

Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

:)

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I upgraded from 4 to 5 yesterday. It took 10 minutes and when it was done this floated through my mind.

"...well...that was easy..."

Start here...

Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

:)
That's the thread that had me sort of worried about needing make backups, edit various registry keys, manually re-enter various settings (and change some to work with the new version), and ultimately have to wipe everything, do a clean install of windows, and basically start over. ;)

I'll have to read more of the latest posts. It sounds like things are working more smoothly now!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can save BI4 settings to transfer to BI5. I just wiped it clean no issue with window media creation tool. Installed BI5 and loaded BI4 settings I had and I was within the hour.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@J Sigmo I doubt any improvements to the upgrade process have been made since the week it was launched ;) Now it is just a question of having enough time to deal with the unavoidable issues like reconfiguring your profiles and alert preferences and stuff, since that stuff has changed with BI5.

Make sure you have a registry backup and know how to use it because if you uninstall BI4 you can expect to lose all the BI config and registration. I suggest using Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper) to make the registry backup, as it will compress it really tiny using 7zip, and to restore it all you need to do is extract the reg file and run it. The backups which Blue Iris makes are relatively huge and painful to restore.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
@J Sigmo I doubt any improvements to the upgrade process have been made since the week it was launched ;) Now it is just a question of having enough time to deal with the unavoidable issues like reconfiguring your profiles and alert preferences and stuff, since that stuff has changed with BI5.

Make sure you have a registry backup and know how to use it because if you uninstall BI4 you can expect to lose all the BI config and registration. I suggest using Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper) to make the registry backup, as it will compress it really tiny using 7zip, and to restore it all you need to do is extract the reg file and run it. The backups which Blue Iris makes are relatively huge and painful to restore.
I'll probably hold off for a while, then. It's the busy season at work, and I've got enough honeydo projects at home already.

You can save BI4 settings to transfer to BI5. I just wiped it clean no issue with window media creation tool. Installed BI5 and loaded BI4 settings I had and I was within the hour.
That's encouraging to hear! :)