Any suggestion of NVIDIA video card for B360 MB

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone who can suggest what is the best nvidia video card to used for BI so I can take off some of the GPU load out of my CPU please?
Build is
i7-8700 3.2GHZ 12 MB Cache
Motherboard: AORUS B360 gaming motherboard
-I wanted to add and external video card to reduce cpu usage.

Thank you in advance

-Boots

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nvidia cards are not a good match for an i7-8700 system. You already have Quick Sync for hardware accelerated H.264 decoding, capable of accelerating around 1500 megapixels per second of H.264 video. By the time you get to 1500 MP/s of load going through Quick Sync, your CPU will already be near its limit. Adding an Nvidia card for CUDA acceleration won't change that. All you would be able to do is switch some (or all) cameras from Quick Sync decoding to Nvidia CUDA decoding, and that would not change your CPU usage significantly. What it would change is your PC's power consumption. CUDA is a lot less efficient than Quick Sync.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are very few reasons to use an Nvidia card in a BI system.

1) If opening the BI local console causes too big an increase in CPU usage, plugging the monitor into a graphics card can reduce the CPU usage of video rendering in the local console. Many people wouldn't get a very big improvement from this, only those with many high resolution cameras and a 4K monitor who spend large amounts of time with the local console opened and maximized.

2) Blue Iris's Nvidia CUDA implementation can handle H.265 video whereas its Quick Sync implementation can not.

3) Blue Iris can hardware-accelerate video encoding with CUDA, but not with Quick Sync. This has limited usefulness and isn't a great reason to buy an Nvidia card.

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) If opening the BI local console causes too big an increase in CPU usage, plugging the monitor into a graphics card can reduce the CPU usage of video rendering in the local console. Many people wouldn't get a very big improvement from this, only those with many high resolution cameras and a 4K monitor who spend large amounts of time with the local console opened and maximized.
This is my main concern at the moment as we are in retail business and BI is constantly on the screen, it is required, I have attached screenshots below but not the build that I have stated above, the one below is a i7-8700 on a ASUS Z370-P motherboard with just 32 cameras all 2MP just set to 720P/15 fps. See how BI shows it's just showing 31% CPU usage when it's actually consuming 46%, and actual usage is now on 50% due to some other system services, and occasionally it would spike to 70-100% specially when we are reviewing.

When showing on monitor

When Minimize

Info:

Our other system the one I originally posted, that has a i7-8700 on AORUS B360 mobo is performing worse with 40 cameras all 2MP set to 720P/15 fps. cpu usage is on 80% and an occasional spike to 100%.
@bp2008 sir, I'm a little bit confused,just clearing what you've said please? Putting a graphic card won't help or has a little impact on our current cpu load at the moment?

Thank you,

-Boots

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You are not even running your integrated graphics at 50% yet, so most of what an Nvidia card would do to help is make rendering the local console more efficient (must be on a monitor connected to the graphics card).

An inexpensive fanless GT 710 would be sufficient for a 1080p monitor and draw less than 10 watts of power. If you need a DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 output for 4K or whatever, then a GT 1030, but those are double the price. To gain NVENC support (hardware-accelerated encoding for video export / UI3 / iOS or Android apps) then you'd need to step up all the way to GTX 1050.

Before buying anything extra, I recommend reading everything here: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

There are software alternatives to make the local console more efficient, all discussed in detail in that page.

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thank you sir, help heaps with your pointers, with regards to optimization of BI I already have went through the page heaps of times desperate to reduce the the cpu usage of our system, but yep I might try the GTX 1050, I have seen an ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 with a quite fair price, will get that and test on one of the systems and we'll see from there.

Cheers!

-Boots

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update:
Following bp2008 regarding the BI console always on the screen, I have put a Radeon RX 550 2GB GDDR5 on our system with 40 cameras and the CPU usage have significantly reduced by about 30%! Even without hardware acceleration, This is with the BI console on the screen.

So the need of the BI console to be on the screen always, really requires a video card.

Regards,

-Boots