Any thoughts on this STRANGE UI3 behavior?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This happened overnight, used to work as expected, cannot recall changing any thing of consequence (or anything, really). But here are the conditions and what happens:

Conditions:

1. I port forward to the BI machine (yes, please go ahead and yell at me :)).
2. I also have OpenVPN set up, but I don't use it since opening the port.

Behavior:

1. WiFi (inside network) - UI3 - Works, BI Mobile app -Works.
2. Cell data (outside of network - UI3 (doesn't work anymore, times out), BI Mobile app - Works.
3. Cell data (OpenVPN) - UI3 - Works, BI Mobile app - Works.

Can anyone tell me what could've possibly happened to UI3 overnight, without OpenVPN and how the heck is the Mobile app working in the same condition?

Thanks for your help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You might be entering the wrong address into the web browser. Maybe your public IP changed and the BI mobile app is learning your new IP. The mobile apps have that ability if you entered your BI license key into the mobile app, it can use that to identify what address your server is running from.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you guys... All good answers, but not solving the issue for me:

1. I'm using the same bookmarks I always use, so there is no human URL error.

2. Validated public IP is the same cause otherwise I believe OpenVPN wouldn't just work.

I've tried rebooting my ISP modem and main Router that serves as DHCP, but it looks like nothing is changing. Closest issue that I can identify is that my router's port forwarding just stopped working over night. Has anyone seen this with TP-Links?

Blowing up the rule and starting from scratch, changing the BI machine's port doesn't help either...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you guys... All good answers, but not solving the issue for me:

1. I'm using the same bookmarks I always use, so there is no human URL error.

2. Validated public IP is the same cause otherwise I believe OpenVPN wouldn't just work.

I've tried rebooting my ISP modem and main Router that serves as DHCP, but it looks like nothing is changing. Closest issue that I can identify is that my router's port forwarding just stopped working over night. Has anyone seen this with TP-Links?

Blowing up the rule and starting from scratch, changing the BI machine's port doesn't help either...
Check you firewall settings

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI machine, you mean? What am I looking for exactly? I haven't changed a thing :).
yes. what firewall/antivirus are you using. You dont need to change anything for them to take action on their own.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes. what firewall/antivirus are you using. You dont need to change anything for them to take action on their own.
OK but I didn't install anything, Windows didn't update, and I have that Windows Defender disabled.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would have set up OpenVPN with DDNS so that it would find it when the IP address changes.

Changing the BI port will do nothing but cause you issues, I thought you learned that already :lmao::rofl:

Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are two separate things. You need to setup a firewall rule that allows traffic to pass through the Port you are port forwarding.

But since you have OpenVPN and it works, why open up your system to hacking with port forwarding? Folks have said that Verizon fixed the SMS issue, so have the push send you the notice, get the SMS for the photo and have a safer system? Most get them within seconds apart. A few second delay is certainly worth closing up the port forwarding issue.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You would have set up OpenVPN with DDNS so that it would find it when the IP address changes.

Changing the BI port will do nothing but cause you issues, I thought you learned that already :lmao::rofl:

Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are two separate things. You need to setup a firewall rule that allows traffic to pass through the Port you are port forwarding.

But since you have OpenVPN and it works, why open up your system to hacking with port forwarding? Folks have said that Verizon fixed the SMS issue, so have the push send you the notice, get the SMS for the photo and have a safer system? Most get them within seconds apart. A few second delay is certainly worth closing up the port forwarding issue.
I'm fairly certain the public IP hasn't changed, even if it had, do we agree that the router that is doing the port forwarding would know the WAN IP?

LOL I hear you about the port change... This one worked! I changed for a bit to see the router was struggling with something stale in there. So I wrote a brand new forwarding on a new port. And again, it worked like a charm for the new port too over OpenVPN!

The one thing I did fiddle with was changing the IP range manually to set talk to my new Dahua LPR, as the config tool, just wouldn't get through to it. So I turned off BI. Disabled Internet LAN. Went to my Camera LAN, changed the IP range, talked to the Dahua, brought it to the same range ane Subnet as the Camera LAN, then reverted back the Camera LAN to the range that's been worked. Enabled Internet LAN, launched BI and everything was working as it was!

That is the only change I can think of. Can you guide me on where to check for the firewall rule in the Windows machine? What it would look it?

I agree, OpenVPN is the safer path, but the port forwarding experience is worth it to my family and I... I really don't like the text message notifications. LOL! (Yes, I know I'm disappointing you, AJ!)

UPDATE: Looks like it's officially the Port forwarding that's not working, though I don't know why. Now, BI, RDP both don't work off of cell without VPN, not just UI3.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cause you changed ports now LOL so the firewall and programs are all screwed up not knowing where to look :lmao:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously, WHY are port forwarding when you have OpenVPN working?
This could be you because of it.