Any way to auto fill password?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a real pain to keep typing in the "strong" passwords required by the Hikvision cameras using the web interface. The html code turns autocomplete off, but even if autocomplete is turned on, the browser won't fill in the name and password fields. By accident or design, in the html code Hikvision has left out the normal field labeling used by autocomplete. Has anybody found a way to get the browser to fill in the password? As a last resort I'll probably look at a keyboard macro utility.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a real pain to keep typing in the "strong" passwords required by the Hikvision cameras using the web interface. The html code turns autocomplete off, but even if autocomplete is turned on, the browser won't fill in the name and password fields. By accident or design, in the html code Hikvision has left out the normal field labeling used by autocomplete. Has anybody found a way to get the browser to fill in the password? As a last resort I'll probably look at a keyboard macro utility.
If you want auto fill the safest way of doing this is using lastpass. Never let a browser save your passwords.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OP wanted a way to autocomplete the password to his NVR using the web interface and I gave him mine. Perhaps his home is as secure as mine is. In many situations saving a password to autocomplete is perfectly appropriate. Never say never, let him decide on what appropriate security levels he might need.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It just depends on your security "standards" I understand the op is using a nvr. Also just like you I'm only giving the op my opinion and thoughts trying to help and my "opinion" is to never use a browser to save passwords. Why use a less secure resource (a web browser ) when you have more secure resource like a password manager? Also again my opinion not only is lastpass more secure but easier to use with the proper encryption. Again why store passswords on a nvr web Interface that probably has a outdated software? Again goes back to your security standards.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I do consider the desktop computer in my home to be secure enough to store passwords, and when I'm away overnight the disk is removed and hidden. If an intruder finds the disk, they will be just as likely to find the NVR itself. I have a differing opinion about lastpass. It's just another outside place that stores my personal information. I'm sure they consider it 100% secure, but I don't want to expose myself to the risk. In the same vein, I never use any cloud storage. On the report about Chrome doing the autofill, using it is probably a good suggestion but I use Firefox as my primary browser and I'm not willing to load another browser for this one purpose. At least not until I've exhausted other possible solutions.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im really not trying to be a know it all or an asshole

I do consider the desktop computer in my home to be secure enough to store passworads

It's not about how secure your home is, if your computer is on the internet (WAN) nothing is 100% secure. Outdated software and less Security measures just makes it much easier to steal your stuff. If someone installed a RAT on your machine they could very easily get those passwords into plain text.

When I'm away overnight the disk is removed and hidden

You really go to all this effort every night? again with the proper encryption and a high character master password should be OK no need to take it out every night again just my opinion !

But I don't want to expose myself to the risk

You already did remember your on the (WAN) again why take a less Secure route when you have a more secure route

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
since the cameras should never be directly exposed to the net there is no issue simply saving the password in notepad/stickynote or making it as easy as possible.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
since the cameras should never be directly exposed to the net there is no issue simply saving the password in notepad/stickynote or making it as easy as possible.
So your saying I should keep my BI pw on a text file on my desktop ? Cuz my cameras are not directly to the Internet ? Also you know most people will expose their cameras to the WAN ....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So your saying I should keep my BI pw on a text file on my desktop ? Cuz my cameras are not directly to the Internet ? Also you know most people will expose their cameras to the WAN ....
Yes you can. If someone has enough access to your pc to read your text file then you are done, they can install a keylogger etc..dont get paranoid. Only a fool directly exposes their cameras to the internet.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you can. If someone has enough access to your pc to read your text file then you are done, they can install a keylogger etc..dont get paranoid. Only a fool directly exposes their cameras to the internet.

If someone has enough access to your pc to read your text file then you are done

I would somewhat agree, your in deep shit.. however if your using lastpass and not on Windows the germ of all os .. then it would be really hard to get any passwords if you took your pw from last pass and copy and paste. Again depends on your browser the last Link

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I found a way to do what I want with AutoHotkey. After writing a simple script I can bring up a camera's web page, hit F12, and I'm logged in. I want to stay out of the "You're crazy if....." debate.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found a way to do what I want with AutoHotkey. After writing a simple script I can bring up a camera's web page, hit F12, and I'm logged in. I want to stay out of the "You're crazy if....." debate.
Lmao geeks being geeks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone has enough access to your pc to read your text file then you are done

I would somewhat agree, your in deep shit.. however if your using lastpass and not on Windows the germ of all os .. then it would be really hard to get any passwords if you took your pw from last pass and copy and paste. Again depends on your browser the last Link
Windows is a fine os...point is there is no issue leaving your password in plain text unless you are worried about someone looking over your shoulder.