Anybody try the new Hikvision ColorVu 8MP ?

JamesR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The gain slider says it’s at 100
You stated that motion would be a blur at 1/12 shutter speed. Do you mean at night only?
What do you suggest the setting to be at?
You’ve also mentioned matching the frame rate and I frame interval. Suggestion for that?
Thanks in advance,
Jim.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The first thing to change is to get everything off of automatic or "auto". There are no magic numbers I, or anyone, can give you to use for any setting. They are all specific to each camera and the conditions where it is looking. I can say that any shutter speed, exposure time, lower than 1/60, 16.66ms, at night will produce blur when there is motion. Rule of thumb is to keep WDR/backlight/etc either shut off or as low as possible. They all can produce blur with motion. The same is true for gain and compensation, keep them as low as possible to avoid blur and artifacts, that graininess I mentioned. During the day the exposure time can be 1/1000, 1/2000 or even higher. The problem is we generally want blur free video at night when most of the things we're actually looking for happen.

Every camera, no matter how big the sensor, needs some light to produce even a B&W image and more light to produce a color image. The first thing you will notice when you change the exposure time is that the picture gets dark. That's where brightness, contrast, gain and exposure compensation come into play. Its a balancing act and you should test, with motion, with each adjustment to get an idea what each adjustment actually does. It will take some time and fiddling around, but it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, almost any camera at a 1/12 shutter speed and 100% gain can produce a nice static image at night. Motion is what we care about.

Watch how dark that image gets when you make the exposure 1/60 and 50 gain...

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That'll be a big part of why my image is a lot darker. I'm at 1/125s to reduce blue on motion.

Out of the box I think it was 1/12 or maybe even 1/6. Which looked like magic converting night to day on a still image, not great for movement though.

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can trigger custom functionality in cams like this from Blue Iris?

For example, in Hik-Connect on my phone, there's a button to turn the supplemental light on or off, and set it's intensity from 0-100, which is very handy if you have a high shutter speed, so the image is dark yet and you want to inspect the scene remotely.

I'd like to have a button in Blue Iris where I can do this, without having to use Hik Connect.

Do these cams have an API to trigger this stuff and can calls to that be integrated into BI?

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 2347 only has a manual iris option for where you set what you want your exposure to be. Then there is gain and in the video option there is clear<->smooth slider which I’m not sure what this actually does.

the 2387 says fixed in exposure setting and again you have to set what you want the exposure to be. No gain option that I see but they both have noise reduction.
Edit went back to play with lower exposure and there is a gain slider there now, weird. Picture below is 100 gain

I’m running the 2387 exposure at 1/500 but will most likely have to change once snow is gone. Attached image with porch light off.

Attachments

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've just seen the DS-2CD3387G2-LSU(2.8MM) listed.

What's the difference between these and the 2387? Is it just the 5 year warranty vs 3?

Serie 3 cameras are mostly used for projects a.k.a more professional. I had serie 2 and 3 on the table havent rly seen much difeerence. Serie 3 is more durable, meaning extra caution was done on picking electrical components.

Wattstar

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m using with shutter set at 1/200 so I can identify cars with ease.

The supplement light settings don’t seem to work on latest firmware, it’s either always on or always off but doesn’t bother me as I use a dim light overnight instead so it doesn’t attract as many bugs to the camera.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that even at 1/200 setting with wdr on at 40 or below if gives a really bright image at night time but above 40 it becomes quite dark (possibly just as useable but not as pleasant to look at if that makes sense). However having below 40 gives a terrible day time image.

To operate in digger

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m using with shutter set at 1/200 so I can identify cars with ease.

The supplement light settings don’t seem to work on latest firmware, it’s either always on or always off but doesn’t bother me as I use a dim light overnight instead so it doesn’t attract as many bugs to the camera.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that even at 1/200 setting with wdr on at 40 or below if gives a really bright image at night time but above 40 it becomes quite dark (possibly just as useable but not as pleasant to look at if that makes sense). However having below 40 gives a terrible day time image.

To operate in digger
They have removed it from latest firmware as people were complaining that the camera wouldn't trigger at night.... Um yeah the camera needs light and if someone doesn't have enough ambient light at night and refuses to run with the white LED on, then yeah the camera has a hard time seeing in the dark LOL.

So now people are complaining it doesn't work like a motion light LOL.

The only folks wanting the light to come on during motion have no business buying a full color camera IMHO because they do not understand that these cameras need light and if the light flicks on during motion, you could momentarily blind the camera at the time that you would get the clean cap of a perp. They think these cameras are magic, but simple physics is all cameras need light whether it be white light on infrared (except for full color cameras because they don't see infrared LOL).