Anyone got Dahua camera to record to NFS share??

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I played with my Dahua camera a bit this weekend. I also have a Hikvision camera, synology DS1815+, and a Windows server 2012R2.
I have my Hikvision camera set to record videos to my NFS share on my Windows 2012R2 server. It works perfectly. And I use iVMS to playback and view multiple Hikvision cameras.
Dahua cameras is supposed to work the same way.
However, I can't get the Dahua camera to record. After you enter the NAS (they should have called it NFS) server ip and the share, unlike Hikvision that you can then test and "format" the share, you can't tell if the Dahua camera sees the share.
I am deciding to use Hikvision or Dahua. It seems like Hikvision is doing better recording to NFS.
BTW, I prefer not to use FTP because I read that you can't recycle the storage. With FTP, recording will stop when share is full unless you use some sort of script to clean up the old files.

I understand one NFS share is meant for one camera and the size is supposed to be "not changing" so I created one partition on the hdd for one share and one camera only.

Anyone got Dahua camera to record to NFS share?? Can you please share how you do it?
Anyone got NFS sharing working on DD-WRT router using USB 3.0 port?

This doesn't help much:
https://dahuawiki.com/NASRecord

2016-07-11 11_05_10-Setup.jpg

2016-07-11 11_04_52-Setup.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
try 'enable'ing your NAS server... (screen shot shows it not checked)

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I actually had it enabled. It did not work and I was just playing with the setting.
Anyone actually got Dahua saving videos to NFS working?

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to do this too, but unfortunately without success. Eventually I used SmartPSS which basically does the same thing imo (record on schedule to a specific partition). Or am i wrong and is there some kind of advantage of NFS recording over SmartPSS?

I'm curious though if you can accomplish the NFS recording (the info should be a sticky if you succeed).

Here are some resources I assembled:
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4369-Setting-up-a-NAS-for-Camera-Events?p=37379&viewfull=1#post37379
https://dahuawiki.com/NASRecord
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324089

Last edited by a moderator:

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Randyth, you keep your SmartPSS constantly running on a PC taking up CPU power? That would also use full bandwidth to pull videos from your cameras 24x7 to analysize the motion. I think if the cameras have the power to do the video detection and record directly to a NAS NFS share, why not let them do the job.
Last night I got it working to a Windows NFS 100GB share finally recording constantly. Now I need to see if I can get the motion detect to work. Then I want to see if I can create a working NFS share on a DD-WRT router, and then on a Windows 10 NFS share using WinNFSd and HaneWin.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your better off using FTP, its simpler and less overhead.. you just need a local script that runs every day and deletes old files so it dont fill up the drive... NAS storage has yet to be proven reliable, I went over a year recording to FTP and it never failed.. search and you'll find ton of headaches from Hikvision NAS storage.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Randyth, you keep your SmartPSS constantly running on a PC taking up CPU power? That would also use full bandwidth to pull videos from your cameras 24x7 to analysize the motion. I think if the cameras have the power to do the video detection and record directly to a NAS NFS share, why not let them do the job.
Last night I got it working to a Windows NFS 100GB share finally recording constantly. Now I need to see if I can get the motion detect to work. Then I want to see if I can create a working NFS share on a DD-WRT router, and then on a Windows 10 NFS share using WinNFSd and HaneWin.
I don't have SmartPSS running constantly. However I do have PC-NVR running as a background process (I only use SmartPSS to configure the PC-NVR/Cameras and for local playback. I use gDmss for mobile playback of the recordings). I'm using 24/7 recording without motion (as of yet) so the PC-NVR process has no noticeable CPU usage. My server is connected to the same poe-switch as my camera's so bandwidth usage is also not noticeable on the main network (no traffic is going through the main router).

I plan on adding recording on motion though (to complement the 24/7 recording), but through FTP (NFS seemed too difficult).

How did you get it working with Windows NFS share? Which windows application did you use as NFS server?

When I didn't have my server yet installed, I used asuswrt to run a ftp server and store snapshots on motion (on a connected usb stick). This did work as a temporary transition-solution. But I quickly found out that software motion isn't a reliable solution (too many false detections). So I installed a dekstop server to hold the 24/7 recorded videos. I want to use the motions now to quickly review the highlights of the day and the 24/7 recordings to see the details incase of an event/emergency.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am using an NFS share on a linux server to let the camera record onto it, by doing this I can also use the playback feature in SmartPSS to watch the recorded footage.
That is not possible by using FTP on the cameras.

I couldn't get the PC-NAS from SmartPSS working, the application is running but when I go to the PC-NVR tab of SmartPSS everything is greyed out, even the power button on the top right. There is also no IP etc. in the labels.
I have added the PC-NVR to the devices section, which also reports it as online.

By using PC-NVR you need to do video analyzation on the computer instead of the camera? I guess that's not gonna work out for me anyways, gonna run it on some old dual core.

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using an NFS share on a linux server to let the camera record onto it, by doing this I can also use the playback feature in SmartPSS to watch the recorded footage.
That is not possible by using FTP on the cameras.

I couldn't get the PC-NAS from SmartPSS working, the application is running but when I go to the PC-NVR tab of SmartPSS everything is greyed out, even the power button on the top right. There is also no IP etc. in the labels.
I have added the PC-NVR to the devices section, which also reports it as online.

By using PC-NVR you need to do video analyzation on the computer instead of the camera? I guess that's not gonna work out for me anyways, gonna run it on some old dual core.
Mayby you have installed a version of smartpss without pc-nvr?
Try again with the latest version (choose custom to see in pc-nvr is checked to install).
I never knew it was possible to playback NFS recordings in SmartPSS.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. so far I got pass the NFS recording....

Here is my scenario:
I have four Dahua IPC-HDBW2300R-Z and one synology DS215J at home. Synology has 1TB and its NFS is enabled, along with quota, permission stuff. All four cameras created folders in each of their own shares so it is recording. Locally a PC running Smart PSS (both the English and the international versions.) can liveview and playback.
Now I have the router open forwarding all set. Incoming traffic to port 37771 forwarded to port 37777 at the 1st camera, port 37772 forwarded to port 37777 at the 2nd camera, port, etc.
In the office, when I tried to use smart pss to remotely connect to all four cameras, I see all four online and I can liveview them but when I tried to playback, it will give me error message....

Can your Smart PSS remotely playback your cameras that record to their local NFS?

2016-07-26 17_11_27-SYNOLOGY - Synology DiskStation.jpg 2016-07-26 17_17_03-.jpg 2016-07-26 17_17_12-.jpg

2016-07-26 17_17_27-Setup.jpg 2016-07-26 17_18_14-Setup.jpg 2016-07-26 17_18_36-.jpg

2016-07-26 17_25_00-.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should check what it's trying to access with Wireshark, at home and at work.
Though it'd be better if you set up a VPN on your home network so you can access them over that securely.

I don't have my camera at hand, I'll check it out later with Wireshark, I'm also interested whether it's accessing the NFS share directly or through the cameras.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question:
I guess I can only select local or Nas recording not both simultaneously?
Thanks

happycat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, is it possible to record video and audio over nfs or ftp using audio enabled cameras?

I just got a HDW5231R-Z from Andy, it records video and audio on sd card but video only over nfs (I didn't try ftp yet)

Also, it seems there's no way to change the folder structure from the menu? If not I will try to do that modifyng cam235's script.

Thanks

happycat

n3wb
Reaction score
Correction: looking into idx files I found out this:

Event={"Action":"Start","Index":1,"Name":"AudioMutation"}
EncodeFormat={"Audio":{"Bitrate":64,"Channels":[0],"Compression":"G.711A","Depth":16,"Frequency":16000,"Mode":0,"Pack":"DHAV"},"AudioEnable":t
rue,"Video":{"BitRate":1792,"BitRateControl":"CBR","Compression":"H.264","CustomResolutionName":"1080P","FPS":25,"GOP":50,"Height":1080,"Pack"
:"DHAV","Priority":0,"Profile":"High","Quality":4,"QualityRange":6,"SVCTLayer":1,"Width":1920},"VideoEnable":true}

So there must be audio in the files, but mkvmerge won't detect it.
I also noticed mkvmerge sometime fails to convert the dav files or they get trunkated.

Ovidiu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello
Can you tell me please how did you made Smart PSS to playback from NAS ?
It tells me ‘Channel IPC has no record !’
Thank you