Anyone has success running Frigate in Home Assistant?

Arjun

Known around here
Feb 26, 2017
USA
Anyone has success running Frigate in Home Assistant?

I can install Frigate via HA addon or as a Proxmox VM. I'd like to give the HA route a try. Will Frigate add a lot to resource load, disk space (other than video storage), or logs? Also, I run HA in a VirtualBox VM. Can I save the video outside the vm on Windows and use hardware acceleration?

Reactions: rolly and Arjun
The only Frigate processes that have any appreciable CPU usage in my Debian 12 server are ffmpeg and object detection. The object detection process is set up to use the server's Intel N200 GPU via Openvino and there's an ffmpeg process for each camera. These processes should be present whether you install Frigate using HA or a Docker stand alone container. Frigate installed using HA is also installed in a Docker container and can be managed with the same commands, although that may cause some problems with the HA add-on interface. Object detection usually takes about 8% CPU but if you're planning on using Coral I think that should be off loaded from the CPU.

Storage requirements for the program itself are minimal from what I can find. The Frigate directory in the HA custom components directory uses less than 500 KB (yes KB) of space and the other directories I can find use even less. There may be Frigate files scattered in places I didn't look.

Last edited:
Reactions: rolly
I'd add that Frigate runs fine with low CPU utilization on pretty much any modern Intel or AMD processor without a Coral. The software developer's "current favorite" platform uses an Intel N100 CPU and Openvino: Recommended hardware | Frigate
I was just about to ask this.
Looking at the beelink N100 (16gb) mini s12 Pro on aliexpress

Using openvino model on cpu.

What inference speeds can this cpu achiev do you know?

This model is super efficient and even runs on my old i5 3470t at 14-18ms. Not shabby

Reactions: CanCuba
I'm using a Dell Latitude 3140 mini laptop with an N200 processor that fully supports Debian 12. Inference speeds are 14ms with a power draw of about 6 watts.

Last edited:
I have been using Home Assistant OS and Frigate for maybe a year. I do not have a Coral. I bought an old server with a 14 core processor. It runs easily. Added automation to ring a doorbell (sound on a speaker) if someone is near front door. Car horn if car enters driveway. Dog bark if dog is seen in back near my quail cage. Also a weather alert app will play alert sound for tornado.

I've tried most configurations.
I have 2 favourite combos.
Both involve using proxmox.

1- frigate on proxmox lxc (debian 12 lxc with docker/portainer) with openvino model (no tpu required), or with the pcie tpu - with HAOS on a VM in proxmox. With the addon 'Frigate Proxy' and also the hacs frigate for all the controls to put on the HA dashboard.
2 - frigate on proxmox lxc (debian 12 lxc with docker/portainer) with openvino model (no tpu required), or with the pcie tpu. - with HA on a docker lxc (no addons). any other containers like nodered etc I spin up other lxc containers. really easy.

Proxmox is so easy to backup up, restore, migrate etc.
Plus you can have a 3 mode cluster, or 2 node and qdevice for quorum