Anyone have experience with Retail EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance/Anti-Theft) systems purchased from China?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a long shot, but since so many here are into surveillance systems and buying cameras from China, I thought it would be worth a try. We are interested in buying am EAS systems for our retail store. In the US they sell for around $1800 each, but I many systems on AliExpress for under $200. I am still trying to figure out if I need an RF or AM system. My double doors are about 6 feet wide so I may need 2 or 3 antennas for each set of doors, but still researching all this. Does anyone have any experience with these systems and possibly can recommend a Chinese supplier? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like an application for RFID tags. Like Gen2 RFID.
The tags are often used at the Pallet Level. As pallets are unloaded from the truck's trailer (with maybe a forklift or pallet jack) and into the warehouse or distribution center, the tags are read at the portal (the big door into the warehouse). The system, after reading the pallet's tag, will tell the forklift driver where to store the materials (inventory tracking, shelf location, etc)
RFID tags are often used on the individual boxes that are on the pallet. And then, where in the warehouse the boxes are located (often sing an RFID tag for the shelf). Later, as boxes are moved from "inventory" in the back of the store to the retail floor, the box is read at doorway between inventory and the retail shelf. This tracks inventory as it's consumed within the establishment. Monthly "Inventory" operation can then be changed to every 2 or 3 months.
Huge savings in the above, even in a low margin retail application. Which pays for the RFID tag (less than 10 cents)
RFID Gen2 tags are more expensive than simple EAS tags that the consumer sees on the individual retail items. That tag, on the individual item, is simpler & cheaper (a penny or two) than the RFID labels on the "box" or "Pallet".
One tidbit I remember: A pallet of dual blade razors for shaving can cost approx a quarter million, yes $250,000. Retailers don't want to have a "missing" pallet stored somewhere in the warehouse. "Lost Sales" due to not finding warehouse-stored items to replenish retail shelves is the nightmare scenario for retailers. ie: They have the stuff to make the sale, they can't find it. Or due to inaccurate inventory data, they can't quickly find it.
The military, with massive amounts of material to ship/store/distribute/track was very, very appealing.
Where's our stuff? Where's that ammo pallet?
Hey Indiana, where's the Lost Arc?

1655311440464.png

For you, if a shopper anti-theft system is needed at the individual level (vs pallet or box), RFID may be too expensive and overkill. EAS tags may be adequate. (see: Checkpoint)
Good luck!
Fastb

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We are only trying to reduce loss of small expensive items like optics or knives. Lately it seems we have a high employee turnover rate and suspect employee theft more so than customers. We want to tag specific, individual retail boxes at this point.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you need attennas at not only the retail exits but also the staff entrance if different. CCTV over looking the staff entrance is also a must. That way if staff theft is an issue you can see who triggered the alarm.

The only issue I can see with staff theft is if they know the system is there, they can deactivate the tag before sneaking out the goods.

I wonder if some form of optical object tracking might work? So the CCTV system flags if an object is missing from the knives or optics stand. This would enable you to quickly review all such incidents during the day and if you have a modern stock control system, compare sales to removals.