anyone know about imac computers?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got my hands on a very nice Imac desk top from a business that is closing it's doors. I have no password to log in and no admin password. took it to a local computer shop and the tech said he should be able to change a chip and reprogram it and it will be reset to factory. does this sound possible? or is the tech a moron?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I got my hands on a very nice Imac desk top from a business that is closing it's doors. I have no password to log in and no admin password. took it to a local computer shop and the tech said he should be able to change a chip and reprogram it and it will be reset to factory. does this sound possible? or is the tech a moron?
The tech is a moron.

bethzur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll likely have to erase the Mac if they have it linked to their iCloud account. I've not done that. If the device is set up with Mobile Device Management, you may not be able to turn that off, depending on the Mac. This may work for that:

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dont think the user password is the issue. pretty sure it's a admin password and that's why a chip needs to be replaced and programmed. if only the IT guy who set up everything was not a ass clown and would cough up the passwords! it would make my life a little easier. but the guy is no longer with that company so he could care less. I also picked up 4 7' server racks that I have no idea what i will be doing with them. anyone in the Cleveland area need one? let me know

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a casual mac user, not an expert. I call BS on replacing a chip. I believe the worst case is you have to completely wipe the machine and reinstall the OS, a bit time consuming because it's downloaded over the internet. There's not good progress feedback, and the machine appears to have crashed several times during the process. If you read the info linked in the previous posts, some sites give an undocumented way to get into a password reset tool, but since you're adopting the machine maybe you'd be better off erasing it anyway. Apple has an official procedure for doing this. I wonder if this tech knows what it would take to change a chip in the imac? The only way in is to remove the screen that's attached with adhesive. Not impossible, but nothing close to opening up the case on a PC. These things were meant to never be opened up.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Never recall there being an option to put a BIOS-like password on a mac (PPC nor Intel).

If you can post the model #, it would be helpful.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Sho 'nuff... they have a firmware password feature. Hoping they gave you a receipt when you bought it...

1643217666768.png

Or there's always this

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sho 'nuff... they have a firmware password feature. Hoping they gave you a receipt when you bought it...

View attachment 116778

Or there's always this
No receipt, It was given to me so If I need to dump a few bills into it in order to be able to use it I have no problem with that. I just want to be sure this tech is not trying to pull a fast one on me by getting into the computer through a back door somehow and not changing out a chip and charging me for one. I have had this same person do repair on some of my other computers in the past and he has always done a great job. but I am not very familiar with Apple products and I understand they are pretty much a bitch to get into if you do not have all the information like passwords. The government had a hard time getting into phones so I sure as hell would have. I should find out by the end of the week if he was able to do the job. Ill keep you posted!