Anyone know how to set up an HP J8762A Procurve 8 port POE managed switch?

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could use some help. I got this from eBay at a good price -originally very costly - http://m.newegg.com/Product?itemNumber=9SIA67S2KS9237&Keyword=Procurve J8762A. I liked that it was rack mountable.

Are there any network people on the forum who can help me to set this up? As it stands, the unit does not have an IP address assigned in its default state so I don't see it on an IP scan and can't get into its firmware utility to set an IP. HP says to telnet into the console using a special connect cable which I don't have.

It does work great as a unmanaged POE switch at the moment. My Hikvision cameras booted right up and were found by BI. This switch is certainly built like a tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough reply. So it needs a straight through serial cable with an FTDI chipset and a female db9. A Yaesu FT950 CAT cable! Hi hi.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dont need the FTDI, but if you want good Windows drivers its probably your best bet.. i recall having trouble with Prolific adapters on Win10

If you already have a cable then awesome, your most of the way there..

Plasman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks very much. I believe the Prolific chips were cloned and it was the clones that caused the issues. I know most ham radio programs like HRD now won't support you if you don't use an FTDI USB to serial adapter.